ASIA/INDIA - Government Offices open at Easter: the protest of Christians
New Delhi (Agenzia Fides) - Some tax offices and government departments have told their employees to stay open on 29, 30 and 31 March, which for Christians are days that go from Good Friday to Easter. As learned from Fides, the faithful Christians in India have called for Christian workers to be granted a work break because these are "the most important days of the year for the Christian faith"
Some Catholic NGOs such as the "Catholic Secular Forum", based in Mumbai, sent a memorandum to the Prime Minister and the Minister of Finance expressing "deep shock" and recalling the existence of a circular which provides for "the closure of business tax offices on Saturday and Sunday." According to Fides sources, a special opening may have been ordered by the Ministry of Finance since March 31 is the deadline for the submission of the tax return for citizenship. In a note sent to Fides, we ask that employees of the Christian faith are exempt from work "to allow anyone who wants to attend religious functions," while the due date of the tax return "could be extended by one day ". This position also found support from some Indian bishops.
A particular situation of discrimination, concludes the note sent to Fides, touches the Christians living in the Indian state of "Jammu and Kashmir", a Muslim majority, where Good Friday is not holiday, unlike other Muslim Hindu and Buddhist holidays. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 27/03/2013)
- 2014-03-10 ASIA/INDIA - Christians in Goa ask: To postpone the elections scheduled on Holy Thursday
- 2014-03-10 ASIA/INDIA - Attack in a prayer hall in Orissa, two people arrested
- 2014-03-07 ASIA/INDIA - Where to be born female is considered "a disaster "
- 2014-03-05 ASIA/INDIA - Religious freedom at risk and violence against minorities, in view of the general elections
- 2014-03-03 ASIA/INDIA - Two men accused of having participated in the murder of the missionary Graham Staines have been acquitted
- 2014-02-25 ASIA/INDIA – The UN takes closer look at massacres in 2002 and the present situation of freedom of religion in Gujarat
- 2014-02-24 ASIA/INDIA - No to social exclusion, no to the caste system: Franciscans in India play a prophetic role
- 2014-02-20 ASIA/INDIA - 78 thousand children die of congenital heart disease every year
- 2014-02-20 ASIA/INDIA - Half of India's population lives in poverty: the responses of the Church
- 2014-02-17 ASIA/INDIA - Bishops' Pastoral Letter on the elections: "The leaders respond to the expectations of the people"