AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Immigration reform, perhaps even the support of the Pope
Los Angeles (Agenzia Fides) - The archbishop of Los Angeles, Mgr. Jose Gomez, has provided details of the meeting that a delegation of 15 U.S. religious leaders recently had with President Barack Obama on the reform of immigration rules . The delegation, as well as Mgr. Gomez, included 14 representatives of other denominations and religious groups in the United States. The meeting aimed to outline the changes to be made to existing rules so that they meet the criteria of humanity and justice.
The meeting, held in Washington, DC six days ago and was aimed at contributing to the reflection that the national political community is conducting with regards to the controversial question of the regulation of immigration flows. An issue that has always been at the center of the Catholic Church a U.S. (see Fides 31/01/2013).
"Two weeks ago there was a meeting of all the dioceses of Southern California, where it was agreed that, once a law passes, support will be given to all those who want to apply it," said Mgr. Gomez in a letter sent to Fides. The archbishop also made the comment on the possibility that Jorge Mario Bergoglio, the first American Pope in history, wants to show his support for the reform before the politicians in Washington, DC.
Los Angeles is the largest diocese in the Country, with a Catholic population of 70 percent of Hispanics. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/03/2013)
- 2014-04-02 - Six thousand migrants have died in 15 years, the U.S. Bishops celebrated a Mass at the border
- 2014-03-12 - A Catholic Guide for parishes with faithful of different languages and ethnic groups
- 2014-03-05 - The Bishops on the crisis in Ukraine: "We raise our voice in defense of religious liberty"
- 2014-02-25 - AMERICA/ UNITED STATES – The Church should never forget her duty to accompany immigrants towards integration
- 2014-02-13 - American Indians: neglected and marginalized, but have great capacities
- 2014-01-29 - President Obama: "it is urgent to reform the immigration system"
- 2014-01-15 - Archbishop Gomez looks for support among those who do not agree on the immigration reform
- 2014-01-14 - "They take care of our children and build our homes, but they have no rights": for a more humane approach towards immigrants
- 2014-01-13 - The Bishops: excessive military engagement in the fight against drugs in Mexico
- 2013-10-16 - Every day 1,400 children under 5 years of age die due to a lack of drinking water