AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Immigration reform, perhaps even the support of the Pope
Los Angeles (Agenzia Fides) - The archbishop of Los Angeles, Mgr. Jose Gomez, has provided details of the meeting that a delegation of 15 U.S. religious leaders recently had with President Barack Obama on the reform of immigration rules . The delegation, as well as Mgr. Gomez, included 14 representatives of other denominations and religious groups in the United States. The meeting aimed to outline the changes to be made to existing rules so that they meet the criteria of humanity and justice.
The meeting, held in Washington, DC six days ago and was aimed at contributing to the reflection that the national political community is conducting with regards to the controversial question of the regulation of immigration flows. An issue that has always been at the center of the Catholic Church a U.S. (see Fides 31/01/2013).
"Two weeks ago there was a meeting of all the dioceses of Southern California, where it was agreed that, once a law passes, support will be given to all those who want to apply it," said Mgr. Gomez in a letter sent to Fides. The archbishop also made the comment on the possibility that Jorge Mario Bergoglio, the first American Pope in history, wants to show his support for the reform before the politicians in Washington, DC.
Los Angeles is the largest diocese in the Country, with a Catholic population of 70 percent of Hispanics. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/03/2013)
- 2015-02-06 - The young engaged with migrants write to the Pope
- 2015-01-07 - Catholic Schools: Communities of Faith, Knowledge and Service
- 2015-01-05 - National Migration Week 2015: "We are one family"
- 2014-12-18 - Bishops: not only diplomatic relations with Cuba, but also cooperation in various fields
- 2014-11-21 - The Church on the measures for immigrants: "We have a long history of welcoming..."
- 2014-11-20 - 2 and a half million children live in shelters, on the streets or in cars
- 2014-11-18 - Letter of the Bishops of Texas and Ciudad Juarez: "We invite the Pope to come and visit the border area"
- 2014-11-14 - New version of the Catechism of the Catholic Church online, in English and Spanish
- 2014-11-13 - Students attending Catholic schools increase
- 2014-10-24 - Millions of children and young people feel unsafe in their families