AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Immigration reform, perhaps even the support of the Pope
Los Angeles (Agenzia Fides) - The archbishop of Los Angeles, Mgr. Jose Gomez, has provided details of the meeting that a delegation of 15 U.S. religious leaders recently had with President Barack Obama on the reform of immigration rules . The delegation, as well as Mgr. Gomez, included 14 representatives of other denominations and religious groups in the United States. The meeting aimed to outline the changes to be made to existing rules so that they meet the criteria of humanity and justice.
The meeting, held in Washington, DC six days ago and was aimed at contributing to the reflection that the national political community is conducting with regards to the controversial question of the regulation of immigration flows. An issue that has always been at the center of the Catholic Church a U.S. (see Fides 31/01/2013).
"Two weeks ago there was a meeting of all the dioceses of Southern California, where it was agreed that, once a law passes, support will be given to all those who want to apply it," said Mgr. Gomez in a letter sent to Fides. The archbishop also made the comment on the possibility that Jorge Mario Bergoglio, the first American Pope in history, wants to show his support for the reform before the politicians in Washington, DC.
Los Angeles is the largest diocese in the Country, with a Catholic population of 70 percent of Hispanics. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/03/2013)
- 2014-07-26 - "Looking for a lawyer to represent undocumented children"
- 2014-07-24 - The Bishop of Brownsville: "In the face of a humanitarian crisis, we need a humanitarian response"
- 2014-07-08 - Forum on Migration: analysis of the reality and operational proposals are being studied
- 2014-06-28 - Solidarity of Churches for the humanitarian emergency of immigrant children
- 2014-06-24 - Over 160 thousand immigrants in Texas, 37 thousand children are alone
- 2014-06-24 - Children and young immigrants in the U.S.A: "They are not seeking adventure, they are fleeing from a war"
- 2014-06-17 - Peace-building and formation of seminarians in Latin America among the 112projects funded by the U.S. Catholics
- 2014-06-13 - A priest killed and another seriously injured in Phoenix
- 2014-06-11 - The plight of child migrants from Central America and forced to repatriate
- 2014-06-10 - USCCB General Assembly - 2014 June