AMERICA/VENEZUELA - A Day dedicated to Girls and Indigenous Children
Maracaibo (Agenzia Fides) - Today, March 18, Girls and Indigenous Children Day of Venezuela is celebrated. This annual event is dedicated to the 41 indigenous communities in the Latin American country as a sign of recognition and inclusion of children from countries of origin. The initiative aims to contribute to maintaining the historical, cultural, social, linguistic importance of indigenous children, as well as highlighting their active participation in the construction of Venezuela.
Maracaibo, is the capital of Zulia state, in Venezuela, and is the region with the highest number of indigenous people from around the country. The largest community is the Wayuu, that lives together with añú or paraujanos, barí, yukpa and japreira. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 18/03/2013)
- 2015-06-22 - Hunger strike in 12 states for political prisoners, the Church has been asked to intervene
- 2015-06-19 - "They have our support": Mgr. Conde receives young people on hunger strike and writes to the Pope
- 2015-06-05 - Appeal to the authorities in favor of protesters on hunger strike
- 2015-06-03 - The Church calls on the authorities to respond to the students on hunger strike
- 2015-05-30 - Six young people on hunger strike in a church in Caracas
- 2015-05-19 - Casa-Hogar "Padre Machado" in El Valle occupied with violence for a few hours
- 2015-03-03 - Classes suspended in the University of Tachira, false accusations made against the Catholic University
- 2015-02-27 - The Bishops: "Stop murderous violence!"
- 2015-02-25 - More violence and protests: 6 dead in six days of demonstrations
- 2015-02-24 - Growing tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa denounces murder of 3 students