AMERICA/BRAZIL - Nearly 800,000 people have been killed by gunfire in the last 30 years
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - The Brazilian Center for Latin American Studies (CeBeLa) and the Latin American Faculty of Social Sciences (FLACSO), presented a study on deaths caused by firearms in the last decades in Brazil.
The New Map of Violence 2013, entitled "People killed by firearms," says that in Brazil from 1980 to 2010, 799,226 people were killed with firearms, of whom 450,255 aged between 15 and 29.
"One in three young people's deaths is caused by firearms. This is by far the leading cause of death among young people," said the president of CeBeLa, Jorge Werthin.
According to the research of CeBeLa and Flacso in Brazil, the mortality rate caused by firearms is the highest in the world, surpassing most populous countries such as China and India, and is even higher than that of the wars in the last seven decades in the rest of the world, such as the Gulf War and the conflicts in the Palestinian territories."
In Latin America, Brazil is among the top five most violent countries, behind El Salvador, Venezuela, Guatemala and Colombia, which occupy the first four places. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/03/2013)
- 2014-11-24 - There are now 500 thousand signatures which have been collected for the Democratic Political Reform
- 2014-11-20 - Support of the Church with regards to the formation of political consciousness for democratic reform
- 2014-10-27 - Beatification of the co-founder of the Scalabrinians: "May the whole Church be missionary of truth, mother Assunta did it"
- 2014-10-27 - Dilma Rousseff re-elected President with a narrow margin: she will have to face recession, corruption and discontent
- 2014-10-24 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – Bishops’ statement: "No backtrack on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples"
- 2014-09-24 - Missionary Campaign 2014: One cannot combat human trafficking without combatting poverty and inequality
- 2014-09-18 - Elections of October 5: corruption enters the electoral debate
- 2014-09-17 - Join forces for joint action: establishment of the "Red Eclesial Pan-Amazon"
- 2014-09-02 - Bishops’ Conference promotes television debate between candidates for Presidency
- 2014-08-22 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – The "Ecumenism and the Missions" Symposium begins