AMERICA/BRAZIL - Nearly 800,000 people have been killed by gunfire in the last 30 years
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - The Brazilian Center for Latin American Studies (CeBeLa) and the Latin American Faculty of Social Sciences (FLACSO), presented a study on deaths caused by firearms in the last decades in Brazil.
The New Map of Violence 2013, entitled "People killed by firearms," says that in Brazil from 1980 to 2010, 799,226 people were killed with firearms, of whom 450,255 aged between 15 and 29.
"One in three young people's deaths is caused by firearms. This is by far the leading cause of death among young people," said the president of CeBeLa, Jorge Werthin.
According to the research of CeBeLa and Flacso in Brazil, the mortality rate caused by firearms is the highest in the world, surpassing most populous countries such as China and India, and is even higher than that of the wars in the last seven decades in the rest of the world, such as the Gulf War and the conflicts in the Palestinian territories."
In Latin America, Brazil is among the top five most violent countries, behind El Salvador, Venezuela, Guatemala and Colombia, which occupy the first four places. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/03/2013)
- 2014-04-07 - CIMI delivers a document on the suffering of the indigenous peoples of the Amazon to the Pope
- 2014-04-04 - "He taught us that in order for the Gospel to be proclaimed it must be acculturated": Brazil and Spain in celebration for the canonization of "Father Anchieta"
- 2014-04-02 - "For a future in freedom and democracy": Bishops' message after 50 years since the military coup
- 2014-03-26 - The Brazilian Church accompanies the World Cup inviting to combat trafficking
- 2014-03-04 - " Fraternity and human trafficking", a constant struggle against this scourge
- 2014-02-17 - "Play for Life": thousands of religious mobilize against human trafficking
- 2014-02-06 - Cardinal Filoni: "The announcement ad gentes is part of the responsibility that all the particular Churches have toward Christ"
- 2014-02-04 - Cardinal Filoni to Brazilian Bishops: The II Vatican Council and the missionary dimension of the Church
- 2014-02-03 - 50 years since the II Vatican Council: missionary commitment, consecrated life, episcopal ministry of Bishops
- 2014-01-23 - Prisons do not re-educate and are in crisis: intervention of the Archbishop of Rio