AFRICA/ZAMBIA - Christians launch a campaign to combat violence against women
Lusaka (Agenzia Fides) - The Christian communities in Zambia launch a new initiative to combat violence against women, a phenomenon of vast size in the country. According to official statistics, 47% of women in Zambia have experienced some form of sexual or physical violence since the age of 15, including beatings and rapes that sometimes lead to their death.
Under the impetus of the Anglican Church in the country, the Christian communities in several cities have set up "development and comparison groups among women" to increase awareness of the issues, provide assistance and help women to create an income and a certain degree of economic independence. The Church offers support and advice, with the help of international non governmental organizations.
"When women are economically dependent from men, they do not have access to information about their rights, they lack a voice in their communities, are vulnerable to abuse and violence. The Church takes stand against this approach for the good of the community," said the campaign which has just been launched. Grazia Mazala Phiri, national director of programs for the Anglican Church in Zambia notes: "We intend to support women and rebuild social relationships, for women to live in their communities, in the workplace and at home safely.
Rev. Albert Chama, Anglican Archbishop of Central Africa said that "as Christians, we support women to achieve equality in all spheres of life, starting from education." (Agenzia Fides 09/03/2013)
- 2014-10-30 - Churches’ appeal after the death of the President: "Let us join together in prayer during this time of mourning"
- 2014-10-29 - President Sata has died after a long illness
- 2014-10-23 - The Church's contribution to the growth of the nation after 50 years of independence
- 2014-10-13 - "We are greatly concerned about the well-being of the President" say civil society
- 2014-04-08 - Almost 40% of infant mortality rate is due to malaria
- 2014-03-10 - Support to give strength to the women of Chisitu
- 2014-02-21 - AFRICA/ZAMBIA – Let's fulfill the aspirations of those who fought for the independence of building a more just Country
- 2014-01-25 - Bishops: "Respect democracy"
- 2014-01-09 - After 50 years of independence a proper Constitution focused on popular sovereignty is needed
- 2013-10-02 - "Do we still have a functioning state? " Asks Caritas