AFRICA/EGYPT - The Coptic Catholic Bishop Fahim Hanna: U.S. politicians do not understand what is happening in Egypt
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The invitation to find an agreement to ensure the success of the Egyptians elections by the U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry during his visit to the North African country "cannot be regarded as an undue interference, but reveals the lack of understanding of the Egyptian reality by U.S. political leaders." This was reported to Fides Agency by the Auxiliary Bishop of Alexandria of the Catholic Copts Botros Fahim Awad Hanna.
During his Egyptian trip the chief of the U.S. diplomacy met President Morsi and other Egyptian political representatives, but several opposition leaders refused to have talks with him, criticizing the United States for the support given to the government led by the Islamist Muslim Brotherhood. The recent recalls of those responsible for the U.S. foreign policy not to boycott the parliamentary elections Egyptian - that President Morsi has established on April 22 – according to Anba Hanna "in a certain sense are obvious: they respond to the American mentality according to which participating in elections is a distinctive feature of the democratic system. But such approach does not take into account the reality of today's Egypt, where also the electoral and referendum consultations only seem to confirm decisions and power structures already established, out of every democratic rule. This is why someone reaches the point of saying: let's step back and let them play alone. At least the world will know that there is no true democracy in Egypt."
According to the Coptic Catholic Bishop "Even through Kerry’s actions, it emerges that the U.S. do not fully understand what is happening in Egypt, where the political and social situation complicates itself beyond all expectations." (GV) (Agenzia Fides 04/03/2013).
- 2015-10-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: Christians who present themselves as candidates in the Salafist lists are not credible
- 2015-09-30 - The Coptic Church will support the initiatives of President al-Sisi in favor of youth employment
- 2015-09-26 - Patriarch Tawadros visits the Ethiopian "sister Church"
- 2015-09-22 - A Fatwa to allow the Copts on the electoral Salafist lists
- 2015-09-11 - 24 Copts appointed in the electoral lists of the Salafi party
- 2015-09-09 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: the Church has a spiritual and not a political mission
- 2015-09-08 - A demonstration protest in front of the Coptic Cathedral has been prohibited
- 2015-09-03 - Egyptian Coptic Patriarch: let us rationalize the use of the Nile waters
- 2015-09-02 - New investigations into the case of Mariam, the Coptic student discriminated
- 2015-08-28 - The Coptic Church: the life of the Country depends on the "good health" of the Nile