AFRICA/EGYPT - The Coptic Catholic Bishop Fahim Hanna: U.S. politicians do not understand what is happening in Egypt
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The invitation to find an agreement to ensure the success of the Egyptians elections by the U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry during his visit to the North African country "cannot be regarded as an undue interference, but reveals the lack of understanding of the Egyptian reality by U.S. political leaders." This was reported to Fides Agency by the Auxiliary Bishop of Alexandria of the Catholic Copts Botros Fahim Awad Hanna.
During his Egyptian trip the chief of the U.S. diplomacy met President Morsi and other Egyptian political representatives, but several opposition leaders refused to have talks with him, criticizing the United States for the support given to the government led by the Islamist Muslim Brotherhood. The recent recalls of those responsible for the U.S. foreign policy not to boycott the parliamentary elections Egyptian - that President Morsi has established on April 22 – according to Anba Hanna "in a certain sense are obvious: they respond to the American mentality according to which participating in elections is a distinctive feature of the democratic system. But such approach does not take into account the reality of today's Egypt, where also the electoral and referendum consultations only seem to confirm decisions and power structures already established, out of every democratic rule. This is why someone reaches the point of saying: let's step back and let them play alone. At least the world will know that there is no true democracy in Egypt."
According to the Coptic Catholic Bishop "Even through Kerry’s actions, it emerges that the U.S. do not fully understand what is happening in Egypt, where the political and social situation complicates itself beyond all expectations." (GV) (Agenzia Fides 04/03/2013).
- 2015-03-31 - The Coptic Orthodox Church invites President al-Sisi to Easter Mass
- 2015-03-28 - The Coptic Church supports the government in the fight against illiteracy
- 2015-03-26 - The Coptic Orthodox Church reaffirms ban on pilgrimages to Jerusalem
- 2015-03-25 - President Sisi endorses the new regulation for the election of the Coptic Pope
- 2015-03-23 - The conviction for the Salafist leader who tore up a copy of the Bible confirmed
- 2015-03-20 - Hospitals in Al Azhar open their doors to Christian doctors
- 2015-03-17 - The Egyptian government reviews Islamic religious education programs to combat extremism
- 2015-03-09 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Armed assault against the Franciscan church of Kafr el Dawar
- 2015-03-03 - Patriarch Tawadros meets the families of 21 martyrs; another Copt beheaded in Libya
- 2015-02-25 - Christian archaeological area risks demolition, Coptic monks lie down in front of bulldozers