AFRICA/EGYPT - The Coptic Catholic Bishop Fahim Hanna: U.S. politicians do not understand what is happening in Egypt
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The invitation to find an agreement to ensure the success of the Egyptians elections by the U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry during his visit to the North African country "cannot be regarded as an undue interference, but reveals the lack of understanding of the Egyptian reality by U.S. political leaders." This was reported to Fides Agency by the Auxiliary Bishop of Alexandria of the Catholic Copts Botros Fahim Awad Hanna.
During his Egyptian trip the chief of the U.S. diplomacy met President Morsi and other Egyptian political representatives, but several opposition leaders refused to have talks with him, criticizing the United States for the support given to the government led by the Islamist Muslim Brotherhood. The recent recalls of those responsible for the U.S. foreign policy not to boycott the parliamentary elections Egyptian - that President Morsi has established on April 22 – according to Anba Hanna "in a certain sense are obvious: they respond to the American mentality according to which participating in elections is a distinctive feature of the democratic system. But such approach does not take into account the reality of today's Egypt, where also the electoral and referendum consultations only seem to confirm decisions and power structures already established, out of every democratic rule. This is why someone reaches the point of saying: let's step back and let them play alone. At least the world will know that there is no true democracy in Egypt."
According to the Coptic Catholic Bishop "Even through Kerry’s actions, it emerges that the U.S. do not fully understand what is happening in Egypt, where the political and social situation complicates itself beyond all expectations." (GV) (Agenzia Fides 04/03/2013).
- 2014-11-12 - The government expels Islamist militants from educational institutions
- 2014-11-10 - The Patriarch of the Coptic Orthodox: may the Churches unify the dates for the Easter celebration
- 2014-11-05 - For the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch extremist groups are a product of the West
- 2014-10-28 - St. Catherine's Monastery denies the news of an Islamist attack
- 2014-10-27 - Churches send the government their draft of a bill on the construction of places of worship
- 2014-10-21 - Pilgrimages in the footsteps of the Holy Family
- 2014-10-17 - Egyptian Family House grows, liaison body between Muslims and Christians
- 2014-10-09 - The children of a school take position against separated classes, based on religion
- 2014-10-03 - Intimidation against Copts who do not pay their "taxes" to a Muslim clan
- 2014-09-29 - The Coptic woman who had disappeared returns home: she did not convert but had been kidnapped