AFRICA/EGYPT - The Coptic Catholic Bishop Fahim Hanna: U.S. politicians do not understand what is happening in Egypt
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The invitation to find an agreement to ensure the success of the Egyptians elections by the U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry during his visit to the North African country "cannot be regarded as an undue interference, but reveals the lack of understanding of the Egyptian reality by U.S. political leaders." This was reported to Fides Agency by the Auxiliary Bishop of Alexandria of the Catholic Copts Botros Fahim Awad Hanna.
During his Egyptian trip the chief of the U.S. diplomacy met President Morsi and other Egyptian political representatives, but several opposition leaders refused to have talks with him, criticizing the United States for the support given to the government led by the Islamist Muslim Brotherhood. The recent recalls of those responsible for the U.S. foreign policy not to boycott the parliamentary elections Egyptian - that President Morsi has established on April 22 – according to Anba Hanna "in a certain sense are obvious: they respond to the American mentality according to which participating in elections is a distinctive feature of the democratic system. But such approach does not take into account the reality of today's Egypt, where also the electoral and referendum consultations only seem to confirm decisions and power structures already established, out of every democratic rule. This is why someone reaches the point of saying: let's step back and let them play alone. At least the world will know that there is no true democracy in Egypt."
According to the Coptic Catholic Bishop "Even through Kerry’s actions, it emerges that the U.S. do not fully understand what is happening in Egypt, where the political and social situation complicates itself beyond all expectations." (GV) (Agenzia Fides 04/03/2013).
- 2014-04-16 - Candidates Sabbahi and al-Sisi at the Easter Vigil to be celebrated by Coptic Pope Tawadros
- 2014-03-31 - The false accusations against St. Catherine's Monastery have been rejected
- 2014-03-29 - Clashes after the Islamist assault on a church. Four dead
- 2014-03-26 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Board of inquiry: violence against Copts continues
- 2014-03-25 - Coptic Catholic Bishop on the sentences regarding the Muslim Brotherhood: the Church is always against the death penalty
- 2014-03-24 - Patriarch Tawadros: the so-called "Arab Spring" was actually a winter
- 2014-03-06 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Coptic politician Shukrallah: what worries me is the possible return of the military to power
- 2014-03-01 - 62nd Catholic Festival of Egyptian Cinema opening ceremony
- 2014-02-25 - AFRICA/EGYPT – New rules for election of Orthodox Coptic Pope examined by civil authorities
- 2014-02-25 - “These extremists are shedding innocent blood to get more visibility” says Archbishop Martinelli