AFRICA/EGYPT - The Coptic Catholic Bishop Fahim Hanna: U.S. politicians do not understand what is happening in Egypt
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The invitation to find an agreement to ensure the success of the Egyptians elections by the U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry during his visit to the North African country "cannot be regarded as an undue interference, but reveals the lack of understanding of the Egyptian reality by U.S. political leaders." This was reported to Fides Agency by the Auxiliary Bishop of Alexandria of the Catholic Copts Botros Fahim Awad Hanna.
During his Egyptian trip the chief of the U.S. diplomacy met President Morsi and other Egyptian political representatives, but several opposition leaders refused to have talks with him, criticizing the United States for the support given to the government led by the Islamist Muslim Brotherhood. The recent recalls of those responsible for the U.S. foreign policy not to boycott the parliamentary elections Egyptian - that President Morsi has established on April 22 – according to Anba Hanna "in a certain sense are obvious: they respond to the American mentality according to which participating in elections is a distinctive feature of the democratic system. But such approach does not take into account the reality of today's Egypt, where also the electoral and referendum consultations only seem to confirm decisions and power structures already established, out of every democratic rule. This is why someone reaches the point of saying: let's step back and let them play alone. At least the world will know that there is no true democracy in Egypt."
According to the Coptic Catholic Bishop "Even through Kerry’s actions, it emerges that the U.S. do not fully understand what is happening in Egypt, where the political and social situation complicates itself beyond all expectations." (GV) (Agenzia Fides 04/03/2013).
- 2015-11-20 - The Coptic Orthodox Church inaugurates a TV channel for children
- 2015-11-19 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: participate in the elections and give your support to honest and competent candidates
- 2015-11-13 - The Imam of al-Azhar condemns the attack on a Coptic evangelical church
- 2015-11-12 - The Coptic Church: no to unauthorized collection of money for the flooded monasteries
- 2015-11-07 - Historical Coptic monasteries damaged by floods
- 2015-11-06 - The Middle East Council of Churches: unify the date for the Easter celebrations
- 2015-10-22 - AFRICA/EGYPT –Election: good results for Coptic candidates, Salafi party crash
- 2015-10-19 - Elections: the high turnout of Christians
- 2015-10-09 - Coptic Organizations call on President al-Sisi to reopen the investigation into the massacre of Maspero
- 2015-10-06 - Sectarian clashes in Samalut, the "city of martyrs": ten Copts wounded