Erevan (Agenzia Fides) – The Armenian authorities have decided to dedicate a section of the museum of the Armenian Genocide in Erevan to the memory of those Turks and Kurds who helped Armenians during the massacre which took place in the Ottoman empire in 1915. Fides has been informed that the programme to restore the Museum, to be completed before the end of 2015, will include adequate appreciation of the figures of those “righteous” Turkish and Kurdish men and women who during almost one hundred years of massacres and pogroms, protected neighbours and friends, often risking their own lives.
The Museum on the Armenian Genocide was opened in 1995, to commemorate the genocide and mark the 80th anniversary of the bloody events of 1915. In the park in which the Museum is set, trees are planted to commemorate foreign diplomatic and political personalities and international institutions which have recognised the Armenian genocide as such. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 23/2/2013).