AMERICA/BRAZIL - A parish in the heart of the Amazon for the Redemptorist missionaries
Acre (Agenzia Fides) - For a community of Redemptorist missionary priests the parish of São Jose was given, in Rodrigues Alves in the State of Acre, Brazil, the State to the west of the Northwest of Brazil, in the middle of the Amazon, on the border with Peru .
A note sent to Fides Agency by the press office of the Redemptorist Missionaries reports that the four members of the new community are Mgr. Gutemberg Regis (Bishop Emeritus of Coari, AM), Father Marino Almeida, Father Francisco Andrade and Father Irmão Eliomar.
Last January His Exc. Mgr. Mose João Pontelo C.S.S.p., Bishop of the Diocese of Cruzeiro do Sul, warmly welcomed the Redemptorist Community, and appointed Father Almeida Marinho as parish priest. The new priests appointed immediately began to prepare a pastoral plan. One of the problems to be dealt with is the situation of migrants passing to and from other cities in Brazil or Peru, as in the case of Haitians (see Fides 14/04/2012).
The ceremony was also attended by the Father Zenildo Luiz Pereira da Silva, Vice Provincial of the Redemptorist Congregation of Manaus. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/02/2013)
- 2015-08-28 - Scalabrinians: international meeting to find new answers to the issue of migration
- 2015-08-19 - "Church and mining activity": testimonies and experiences in defense of life and territories
- 2015-08-18 - Local Catholic Church demands guaranteed rights for migrants
- 2015-08-13 - Tension between Haitians and locals, Haitian citizen mortally wounded
- 2015-08-11 - National Family Week, an event that grows in Brazil
- 2015-08-08 - Pilgrimage in the heart of the Amazon in defense of creation and to remember Sister Dorothy Stang
- 2015-07-25 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – Franciscan Sister murdered
- 2015-07-23 - Mission Campaign 2015: material ready
- 2015-07-21 - The water crisis threatens millions of people
- 2015-07-20 - A video documents the first missionary experience of young people in the Amazon