AFRICA/MALI - Bishops’ appeal for prayer and solidarity, who today will be received by the Head of State
Bamako (Agenzia Fides) - "For over a year our Country has been in a deep crisis. At the beginning of the new year, this crisis has entered a crucial phase," say the Bishops of Mali in a letter to the local Catholic community and all Malians. The document, sent to Fides Agency, was published at the end of the ordinary session of the Bishops' Conference, which was held recently in Bamako. At their meeting, as reported to Fides by don Edmond Dembele, Secretary of the Episcopal Conference of Mali, the Bishops visited the wounded in the largest hospital in Bamako.
In their letter the Bishops appeal to everyone for prayer, solidarity, unity and vigilance. The Prelates in particular launched an appeal to solidarity towards "our compatriots directly affected by the conflict: the internally displaced and refugees, the bereaved families, the armed forces and security." The Bishops' Conference also decided on the occasion of Lent, which begins on February 13, to launch a national mobilization to collect "financial and material resources to help" the victims of the conflict. The Bishops will be received today, January 24, by President Dioncouda Traoré. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/01/2013)
- 2015-06-24 - The peace agreement signed in a climate of emotion and conviviality
- 2015-05-25 - Despite the latest violence, one hopes in the talks in Algiers in order to reach peace
- 2015-05-06 - President of the Episcopal Conference:"Mali wants peace, Muslims have suffered the violence of the jihadists"
- 2015-03-09 - The attack on the UN base in Kidal and the bombing in Bamako committed by the same group
- 2014-11-25 - Other kidnappings of children in a climate of instability due to the presence of armed groups
- 2014-11-21 - AFRICA/MALI – Ebola: annual pilgrimage postponed
- 2014-10-06 - "It is necessary to stabilize the south of Libya in order to stop the attacks in Mali", said the Secretary of the Bishops' Conference
- 2014-02-26 - AFRICA/MALI – More than 3 million suffer food shortage, some 50,000 could starve to death before the end of 2014
- 2013-09-06 - The challenges of the new leadership: National reconciliation, fight against corruption, the re-launch of economy
- 2013-08-05 - In view of the run-off Caritas Mali proposes some measures to improve the electoral process