AFRICA/MALI - Bishops’ appeal for prayer and solidarity, who today will be received by the Head of State
Bamako (Agenzia Fides) - "For over a year our Country has been in a deep crisis. At the beginning of the new year, this crisis has entered a crucial phase," say the Bishops of Mali in a letter to the local Catholic community and all Malians. The document, sent to Fides Agency, was published at the end of the ordinary session of the Bishops' Conference, which was held recently in Bamako. At their meeting, as reported to Fides by don Edmond Dembele, Secretary of the Episcopal Conference of Mali, the Bishops visited the wounded in the largest hospital in Bamako.
In their letter the Bishops appeal to everyone for prayer, solidarity, unity and vigilance. The Prelates in particular launched an appeal to solidarity towards "our compatriots directly affected by the conflict: the internally displaced and refugees, the bereaved families, the armed forces and security." The Bishops' Conference also decided on the occasion of Lent, which begins on February 13, to launch a national mobilization to collect "financial and material resources to help" the victims of the conflict. The Bishops will be received today, January 24, by President Dioncouda Traoré. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/01/2013)
- 2013-09-06 AFRICA/MALI - The challenges of the new leadership: National reconciliation, fight against corruption, the re-launch of economy
- 2013-08-05 AFRICA/MALI - In view of the run-off Caritas Mali proposes some measures to improve the electoral process
- 2013-08-01 AFRICA/MALI - Caritas: "The population of Mali has demonstrated with the vote its attachment to the institutions"
- 2013-07-31 AFRICA/MALI - Caritas Mali: "Elections substantially correct"
- 2013-07-27 AFRICA/MALI - Presidential elections, Caritas urges to solve the humanitarian crisis
- 2013-06-24 AFRICA/MALI - Meeting of Caritas on the humanitarian crisis in Mali
- 2013-06-19 AFRICA/MALI - Mixed reactions to the peace agreement for Kidal
- 2013-04-29 AFRICA/MALI – The situation improves but the plight of displaced persons and refugees is not forgotten
- 2013-04-10 AFRICA/MALI - Refugees, food shortages and mine clearance: new emergencies in the Country
- 2013-03-07 AFRICA/MALI - The population of Mali finds hope again