ASIA/INDONESIA - Floods and earthquakes: no assistance for victims
Jakarta (Agenzia Fides) - A few days after the floods in Jakarta, a strong earthquake struck the island in the Indian Ocean. Despite the state of emergency declared by the local government, hundreds of people have not yet received any assistance. Many families have been trapped in their homes which are completely flooded. Some areas of the western part of Jakarta continue to be flooded since January 19, after the breaking of a great dam. Until a few days ago, the National Disaster Management Agency reported the death of 20 people, due to diseases, drowning or electrocution. Over 40,000 have been evacuated and a little girl seems to have died because of the earthquake. Insufficient health facilities are able to offer assistance to victims. Back in 2007, the torrential rains recorded 57 deaths and more than 420 displaced people in Jakarta. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 23/01/2013)
- 2013-11-21 ASIA/INDONESIA - Resignation of the Bishop of Bogor and appointment of successor
- 2013-10-29 ASIA/INDONESIA - More funds from the government to the Minister for Religious Affairs: appeal to promote harmony
- 2013-10-25 ASIA/INDONESIA - Reception centers for street children
- 2013-10-08 ASIA/INDONESIA - A coffin in procession: Islamist threats against the Christian governor
- 2013-10-03 ASIA/INDONESIA - Islamist militants block the construction of a Catholic church that has a valid permit
- 2013-08-24 ASIA/INDONESIA - President Yudhoyono: more commitment against intolerance and for religious freedom
- 2013-05-29 ASIA/INDONESIA - Politics: "Yudhoyono has to act more to put an end to religious intolerance"
- 2013-05-23 ASIA/INDONESIA - A Jesuit: President Yudhoyono is an accomplice of religious intolerance
- 2013-03-14 ASIA/INDONESIA - The Church in Indonesia near the new Pope: "We hope to promote dialogue with Islam"
- 2013-03-08 ASIA/INDONESIA - Radical Islamic groups: stop to the churches in West Java