ASIA/LEBANON - Christian leaders debate over the electoral law
Beirut (Agenzia Fides) - The debate on the electoral law with which the legislative elections will be celebrated scheduled for next spring, sees distinctions and second thoughts emerge even among Christian leaders. As learned by Fides Agency, during a meeting held on Friday in Bkerké, in the presence of the Maronite Patriarch Bechara Boutros Raï, representatives of the four main political Christian formations unanimously reaffirmed "the need to achieve an electoral law that ensures better representation for all Lebanese communities. "A generic formula that in fact represents a step backwards compared to the consensus expressed last Sunday by the same groups (Free Patriotic Movement, the Lebanese Forces, Kataeb et Marada) against the proposed law formulated by the "Orthodox Rassemblement."
The controversial reform proposal provides to transform Lebanon into an electoral district where every citizen votes only for members belonging to their religious denomination. This perspective was supported by the Christian formations at the summit last Sunday, but then criticized by independent Christian MPs and the Lebanese President, the Maronite Christian Michel Sleiman. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 12/01/2012).
- 2013-12-05 ASIA/LEBANON - The Maronite Bishops: national sovereignty is under attack
- 2013-12-03 ASIA/LEBANON - Abouna.org awarded as best Arab Christian website
- 2013-11-21 ASIA/LEBANON – NourKids is born: the Christian Arab TV channel for children
- 2013-11-19 ASIA/LEBANON - Suicide bombing in Beirut. Father Karam: sectarian violence is plaguing the Middle East
- 2013-11-18 ASIA/LEBANON - President Sleiman: Christians in the Middle East do not follow the theories regarding "alliance among minorities "
- 2013-10-15 ASIA/LEBANON - Houses for Muslims built on the lands belonging to Christians. Sectarian balance at risk
- 2013-09-11 ASIA/LEBANON - Non-violence, reconciliation and peace: Operazione Colomba begins for Syrian refugees
- 2013-08-08 ASIA/LEBANON - The Maronite Bishops: The Country must remain neutral
- 2013-07-23 ASIA/LEBANON - More Syrian children are expected than Lebanese for the next school year in Lebanon
- 2013-07-15 ASIA/LEBANON - Patriarch Rai: sectarian militias will lead the country to ruin