ASIA/LEBANON - Christian leaders debate over the electoral law
Beirut (Agenzia Fides) - The debate on the electoral law with which the legislative elections will be celebrated scheduled for next spring, sees distinctions and second thoughts emerge even among Christian leaders. As learned by Fides Agency, during a meeting held on Friday in Bkerké, in the presence of the Maronite Patriarch Bechara Boutros Raï, representatives of the four main political Christian formations unanimously reaffirmed "the need to achieve an electoral law that ensures better representation for all Lebanese communities. "A generic formula that in fact represents a step backwards compared to the consensus expressed last Sunday by the same groups (Free Patriotic Movement, the Lebanese Forces, Kataeb et Marada) against the proposed law formulated by the "Orthodox Rassemblement."
The controversial reform proposal provides to transform Lebanon into an electoral district where every citizen votes only for members belonging to their religious denomination. This perspective was supported by the Christian formations at the summit last Sunday, but then criticized by independent Christian MPs and the Lebanese President, the Maronite Christian Michel Sleiman. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 12/01/2012).
- 2015-01-28 - The Patriarchs of Antioch: in order to stop the conflict, arms trafficking must be stopped
- 2015-01-19 - Patriarch Rai: also poverty destabilizes the Middle East
- 2015-01-15 - Maronite League: a UN resolution against the attacks on religions is needed
- 2015-01-14 - Frost and snow: first victims due to frostbite among the Syrian refugees
- 2015-01-08 - Maronite Bishops to MPs: elect the new President as soon as possible
- 2014-12-30 - Hypothesis of a meeting Aoun-Geagea to overcome divisions among political Christian forces
- 2014-12-19 - Appeal of the Chaldean Bishop of Beirut for displaced Iraqi Christians
- 2014-12-11 - The Syro-Catholic Bishops: let us apply the principles of the "Declaration of al-Azhar"
- 2014-12-10 - Patriarch Ignace Yussif III at the Synod of the Syro- Catholic Church: let us help to grasp the "signs of the times"
- 2014-12-04 - Maronite Bishops: they are turning the country into an oligarchy, at the expense of the Constitution, the people and the institutions