ASIA/LEBANON - Christian leaders debate over the electoral law
Beirut (Agenzia Fides) - The debate on the electoral law with which the legislative elections will be celebrated scheduled for next spring, sees distinctions and second thoughts emerge even among Christian leaders. As learned by Fides Agency, during a meeting held on Friday in Bkerké, in the presence of the Maronite Patriarch Bechara Boutros Raï, representatives of the four main political Christian formations unanimously reaffirmed "the need to achieve an electoral law that ensures better representation for all Lebanese communities. "A generic formula that in fact represents a step backwards compared to the consensus expressed last Sunday by the same groups (Free Patriotic Movement, the Lebanese Forces, Kataeb et Marada) against the proposed law formulated by the "Orthodox Rassemblement."
The controversial reform proposal provides to transform Lebanon into an electoral district where every citizen votes only for members belonging to their religious denomination. This perspective was supported by the Christian formations at the summit last Sunday, but then criticized by independent Christian MPs and the Lebanese President, the Maronite Christian Michel Sleiman. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 12/01/2012).
- 2015-03-26 - Christians and Muslims celebrate together the feast of the Annunciation
- 2015-03-17 - The Maronite Church calls for a law to ensure emigrants the recovery of Lebanese nationality
- 2015-03-06 - The Maronite Church promotes the donation of organs
- 2015-03-05 - Meeting between representatives of Hezbollah and the Maronite Church on the election of the President
- 2015-03-03 - Former General Aoun: let us welcome Christians fleeing Syria
- 2015-02-23 - Syrian-Catholic Patriarch opens centenary commemoration of the Assyrian genocide
- 2015-02-20 - ASIA/LEBANON – Maronite Patriarch says: the return of Hariri is a positive fact for the Lebanese nation
- 2015-02-10 - Maronite Archbishop Matar: Lebanon must adopt a strategy to distance itself from regional conflicts
- 2015-01-28 - The Patriarchs of Antioch: in order to stop the conflict, arms trafficking must be stopped
- 2015-01-19 - Patriarch Rai: also poverty destabilizes the Middle East