ASIA/LEBANON - Christian leaders debate over the electoral law
Beirut (Agenzia Fides) - The debate on the electoral law with which the legislative elections will be celebrated scheduled for next spring, sees distinctions and second thoughts emerge even among Christian leaders. As learned by Fides Agency, during a meeting held on Friday in Bkerké, in the presence of the Maronite Patriarch Bechara Boutros Raï, representatives of the four main political Christian formations unanimously reaffirmed "the need to achieve an electoral law that ensures better representation for all Lebanese communities. "A generic formula that in fact represents a step backwards compared to the consensus expressed last Sunday by the same groups (Free Patriotic Movement, the Lebanese Forces, Kataeb et Marada) against the proposed law formulated by the "Orthodox Rassemblement."
The controversial reform proposal provides to transform Lebanon into an electoral district where every citizen votes only for members belonging to their religious denomination. This perspective was supported by the Christian formations at the summit last Sunday, but then criticized by independent Christian MPs and the Lebanese President, the Maronite Christian Michel Sleiman. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 12/01/2012).
- 2015-08-25 - Syriac Catholic Bishop Flavianus Michael Melki, martyr of the "Assyrian Genocide" will be beatified next Saturday
- 2015-07-09 - The Maronite Patriarch: the deadlock on the election of the President is caused by outside interference
- 2015-07-06 - The Maronite Patriarch: the storm will pass, and Christians will remain in the Middle East
- 2015-06-25 - Armenian Catholic Patriarch Nerses Bedros XIX dies in Lebanon
- 2015-06-17 - Prayers to the Virgin of Fatima to invoke the election of a new President
- 2015-06-16 - Maronite and Greek-Melkite Synods have begun. Patriarch Grégoire: 60% of the Lebanese think of emigrating
- 2015-06-10 - The Lebanese pray for the unity of the Country in front of the statue of Our Lady of Fatima
- 2015-05-19 - Christian politicians confront each other over "Aoun’s proposal" in order to exit the crisis
- 2015-05-12 - Parties of the two blocs signed a document of "national partnership" proposed by the Maronite League
- 2015-05-11 - Maronite Patriarch: politics and diplomacy is needed for peace in the Middle East, not military intervention