AMERICA/CHILE - For the Jesuits in the Mapuche Mission "we must resolve long-standing problems for lasting peace"
Temuco (Agenzia Fides) - "From Tirúa, the Jesuits and their collaborators who walk in solidarity with the Mapuche community, want to again express the total rejection of violence and reaffirm their commitment to dialogue and peace": is what is said in a statement by the Mapuche Mission of the Society of Jesus, sent to Fides Agency.
The statement said that "many Mapuche and non-Mapuche families have suffered the loss of loved ones in the context of the conflict in past years" and the Jesuits share the grief of the Werner Luchsinger Lemp and Vivian McKay’s families, killed recently in their home (see Fides 07/01/2013). "We reiterate our call for dialogue as the only way to establish lasting peace - the text continues -. We ask what has happened to be clarified and find those responsible for this vicious attack to avoid criminalizing an entire population.
We also demand that the State of Chile shows rigor and strength in condemning all forms of violence and murder in the area of Araucanía".
The declaration stressed that until the historical roots of this situation are dealt with, one cannot guarantee peace, and complains that this argument is absent from the discussion, "and this increases the pain of those who have been waiting for many years." The statement, signed by Carlos Bresciani, SJ, Head of the Mapuche Mission of the Society of Jesus, concludes: "We want to reiterate that we condemn the use of violence and the attempt on the life of people. The Mapuche question cannot be confused with violence against people, let alone with death. It is a question of life, for their people and for all. " (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/01/2013)
- 2015-07-01 - Procession at sea on Easter Island for St. Peter, praying for the Pope's visit
- 2015-05-19 - The main problems of childhood in Chile: Sexual exploitation, trafficking, drugs, alcohol
- 2015-05-18 - First agreement between former political prisoners and government, Mgr. Goic President of the Commission
- 2015-05-16 - Two students die during the protests; the Church appeals for non-violence
- 2015-05-06 - Bishops' statement: "The right to truth, forgiveness is not impunity"
- 2015-04-15 - Protection of life and communication in the Church's mission, priority in the Chilean Church
- 2015-04-14 - Floods force more than 40 000 children not to go to school
- 2015-03-30 - Floods and landslides: 12 dead and thousands displaced, Caritas at work
- 2015-02-23 - Rudimental bomb explodes near a parish in the capital
- 2015-01-29 - "We have lost a great opportunity": criticism regarding the Law on Education