AMERICA/BRAZIL - New support to Mgr. Casaldáliga from the Chamber of Deputies
Mato Grosso (Agenzia Fides) - The Human Rights Commission of the Chamber of Deputies of Brazil filed a motion of support for the Spanish Bishop Mgr. Pedro Casaldáliga, who last week had to leave the village of Sao Felix do Araguaia, in Brazil, due to a resurgence of the threats received (see Fides 10/12/2012). "Before the new threats for his courageous attitude of solidarity with the indigenous peoples", the Commission expressed "strong support and solidarity towards Bishop Casaldáliga, an activist that fills with pride Brazil and all those who are committed to human rights."
Mgr. Casaldáliga, 84 years old, has been suffering from Parkinson's disease for some time, had to take refuge in an unknown location, and according to the local press, he then received the protection of the federal police because of threats to his fight on the side of the Xavante Indians . The letter which was sent to Fides Agency reports that the Commission recognizes "the solidarity and moral authority of the Bishop in the insistent request of the Xavante people to regain their territory", also the "legitimacy of the Bishop as a human rights defender who acts in defense of the oppressed peoples of the countryside. "The motion presented also mentioned that "the withdrawal of the invaders is crucial for peace in the area." Similarly, the Commission has asked the government to "accelerate the process of demarcation of the indigenous territories in Mato Grosso (west) and in other states where there is a conflict for the occupation of indigenous areas." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/12/2012)
- 2014-09-24 - Missionary Campaign 2014: One cannot combat human trafficking without combatting poverty and inequality
- 2014-09-18 - Elections of October 5: corruption enters the electoral debate
- 2014-09-17 - Join forces for joint action: establishment of the "Red Eclesial Pan-Amazon"
- 2014-09-02 - Bishops’ Conference promotes television debate between candidates for Presidency
- 2014-08-22 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – The "Ecumenism and the Missions" Symposium begins
- 2014-07-23 - Mission to relieve: a challenge for evangelization; the Missionary Campaign 2014 begins
- 2014-07-18 - The first "National Catholic Congress online" for those working in the field of evangelization
- 2014-07-16 - A photo exhibition on the 33 years of fighting for the rights of indigenous peoples arrives in Manaus
- 2014-07-04 - "Immediate answers concerning the issue of immigrants are urgently needed"
- 2014-06-30 - Exploitation of children: from the World Cup to the Winter Olympics 2016