AMERICA/BRAZIL - New support to Mgr. Casaldáliga from the Chamber of Deputies
Mato Grosso (Agenzia Fides) - The Human Rights Commission of the Chamber of Deputies of Brazil filed a motion of support for the Spanish Bishop Mgr. Pedro Casaldáliga, who last week had to leave the village of Sao Felix do Araguaia, in Brazil, due to a resurgence of the threats received (see Fides 10/12/2012). "Before the new threats for his courageous attitude of solidarity with the indigenous peoples", the Commission expressed "strong support and solidarity towards Bishop Casaldáliga, an activist that fills with pride Brazil and all those who are committed to human rights."
Mgr. Casaldáliga, 84 years old, has been suffering from Parkinson's disease for some time, had to take refuge in an unknown location, and according to the local press, he then received the protection of the federal police because of threats to his fight on the side of the Xavante Indians . The letter which was sent to Fides Agency reports that the Commission recognizes "the solidarity and moral authority of the Bishop in the insistent request of the Xavante people to regain their territory", also the "legitimacy of the Bishop as a human rights defender who acts in defense of the oppressed peoples of the countryside. "The motion presented also mentioned that "the withdrawal of the invaders is crucial for peace in the area." Similarly, the Commission has asked the government to "accelerate the process of demarcation of the indigenous territories in Mato Grosso (west) and in other states where there is a conflict for the occupation of indigenous areas." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/12/2012)
- 2015-05-22 - More than 630,000 signatures for political Reform and transparent elections
- 2015-05-02 - Bishops' Message for May 1st: "We cannot live with slave labor"
- 2015-04-29 - "They kill to intimidate": another indigenous leader killed, the complaint of CIMI
- 2015-04-28 - Theme chosen for Missionary Campaign 2015 in Brazil: "Mission is to serve"
- 2015-04-15 - Report of the Pastoral Commission for Land: Homicides in the rural area increase
- 2015-04-13 - First missionary experience of fifty young men and women religious in the Amazon
- 2015-04-09 - Twelve million people live in favelas: educational projects for children
- 2015-04-01 - The Bishops' of Paranà: "We too suffer with the people ..."
- 2015-03-18 - Report on conflicts over water in Brazil: 42 000 families involved
- 2015-03-05 - A march for Women's Day in Brasilia:"Religions for women's rights"