AMERICA/NICARAGUA - 300 000 Nicaraguan children work instead of going to school
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - In Nicaragua, the reduction of the rate of child labor is still very high. The report of the Nicaraguan Foundation for Economic and Social Development (Funides) shows that in the country 42.8% of children between 14 and 15 years of age are engaged in work activities, as well as 4.6% of those between 6 and 13 years of age. Although they are minors, these children and adolescents fall in the range of the Economically Active Population of Nicaragua, calculated as 58.2% of the total population. Educational and cooperation programs promoted by the Sandinista government since his return to power in 2007, have failed to reduce the serious conditions of poverty and inequality of this group of children which is the most affected among the workers. Breaking all the rules, many farmers involve children to work in the fields. In November 2012, the Ministry of Labour presented the results of a study that confirmed the existence of 300,000 Nicaraguans, under 14 who do not go to school and istead go to work. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 13/12/2012)
- 2015-06-30 - "We are losing the values and respect for life", warns Cardinal Brenes
- 2015-06-22 - Two years after the attack against the elderly, the case has not yet been solved
- 2015-06-15 - Still controversy over the transoceanic canal; Mgr. Baez "more transparency is needed"
- 2015-06-03 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Drought continues: the population without water and crops
- 2015-05-05 - "Informed citizenry is able to build a just society", says Msg. Baez
- 2015-03-27 - Group of Spanish Catholic volunteers give support to Nicaraguan children
- 2015-03-20 - Project which involves women to bring electricity to poor communities
- 2015-03-09 - Lent: journey of liberation to fight indifference and selfishness
- 2015-03-06 - "Facts have to be reported": creation of the Human Rights Commission in Pantasma
- 2015-02-13 - Mgr. Mata: "The government must defend human rights"