AMERICA/NICARAGUA - 300 000 Nicaraguan children work instead of going to school
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - In Nicaragua, the reduction of the rate of child labor is still very high. The report of the Nicaraguan Foundation for Economic and Social Development (Funides) shows that in the country 42.8% of children between 14 and 15 years of age are engaged in work activities, as well as 4.6% of those between 6 and 13 years of age. Although they are minors, these children and adolescents fall in the range of the Economically Active Population of Nicaragua, calculated as 58.2% of the total population. Educational and cooperation programs promoted by the Sandinista government since his return to power in 2007, have failed to reduce the serious conditions of poverty and inequality of this group of children which is the most affected among the workers. Breaking all the rules, many farmers involve children to work in the fields. In November 2012, the Ministry of Labour presented the results of a study that confirmed the existence of 300,000 Nicaraguans, under 14 who do not go to school and istead go to work. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 13/12/2012)
- 2015-01-20 - Pastoral letter: "Some people are more interested in profit than man himself"
- 2015-01-13 - Still controversy about the transoceanic canal: the Bishops call for clarity
- 2014-12-10 - Church-Government meeting on the Interoceanic Canal
- 2014-12-05 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Electoral certificate renewal: Bishops speak out
- 2014-11-26 - The Bishops of Central America gather: Communication in the culture of encounter
- 2014-11-25 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Transoceanic canal: Cardinal Brenes calls for transparency
- 2014-11-24 - Concern for the construction of the Canal: "I will not leave you alone" ensures the Bishop of Granada
- 2014-11-17 - The Church on the mega project of the Interoceanic Canal: "Everyone must be heard"
- 2014-10-01 - Initiatives and projects for 1400 child workers in Honduras and Nicaragua
- 2014-09-17 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The Bishops on Law 779: the reform is urgent, the Church is not the auxiliary of the police