AMERICA/NICARAGUA - 300 000 Nicaraguan children work instead of going to school
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - In Nicaragua, the reduction of the rate of child labor is still very high. The report of the Nicaraguan Foundation for Economic and Social Development (Funides) shows that in the country 42.8% of children between 14 and 15 years of age are engaged in work activities, as well as 4.6% of those between 6 and 13 years of age. Although they are minors, these children and adolescents fall in the range of the Economically Active Population of Nicaragua, calculated as 58.2% of the total population. Educational and cooperation programs promoted by the Sandinista government since his return to power in 2007, have failed to reduce the serious conditions of poverty and inequality of this group of children which is the most affected among the workers. Breaking all the rules, many farmers involve children to work in the fields. In November 2012, the Ministry of Labour presented the results of a study that confirmed the existence of 300,000 Nicaraguans, under 14 who do not go to school and istead go to work. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 13/12/2012)
- 2014-09-17 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The Bishops on Law 779: the reform is urgent, the Church is not the auxiliary of the police
- 2014-08-19 - "Assist families but without interfering in their private lives", said the Bishop of Matagalpa
- 2014-07-30 - The country awaits a word of encouragement from the Bishops
- 2014-07-22 - The Archdiocese of Managua condemns the criminal act against innocent civilians on Saturday
- 2014-06-04 - Bishops awaiting the President's reply to the questions posed
- 2014-05-22 - Dialogue between the Church and government begins: "In search of new horizons for a better Nicaragua"
- 2014-05-20 - The Church on the eve of talks with the government: problems are not solved by ignoring them
- 2014-05-14 - Bishops call for three days of prayer for the Church-Government meeting
- 2014-04-08 - Pastor killed: he was "a charismatic, sociable, cheerful priest, he inspired young people to follow Jesus Christ"
- 2014-03-26 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The government of Ortega ready to dialogue with the Church