AMERICA/BRAZIL - Mgr. Pedro Casaldáliga threatened again because he supports the indigenous Xavante
Mato Grosso (Agenzia Fides) – His Exc. Mgr. Pedro Casaldáliga, Bishop Prelate Emeritus of Sao Felix, was forced to leave the village of Sao Felix do Araguaia, in Brazil, due to the resurgence of threats, which he has been receiving for years for his work in favor of the Indians. According to the note sent to Fides Agency by the Indigenous Missionary Council (CIMI), the threats have doubled in recent weeks, most likely due to the impending decision of a court which, according to judicial sources, will vote in favor of the Xavante Indians in a case for the ownership of land near São Félix do Araguaia.
According to CIMI, the announcement of the impending judgment meant that one of the people most threatened by invaders of the lands inhabited by the Xavante is precisely Mgr. Casaldáliga. The CIMI and other indigenous organizations have expressed "full support" to the Bishop, who "since setting foot in the land of Araguaia has been working in defense of the interests of the poor, indigenous peoples and workers."
He was born in Catalonia (Spain) 84 years ago, Mgr. Casadáliga arrived in the Brazilian Amazon in 1968, after spending seven years as a missionary in Equatorial Guinea. The indigenous Xavante have always been able to count on his support and solidarity. The CIMI is an organization which has recently celebrated 40 years at the service of indigenous groups (see Fides 22/11/2012). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/12/2012)
- 2015-03-18 - Report on conflicts over water in Brazil: 42 000 families involved
- 2015-03-05 - A march for Women's Day in Brasilia:"Religions for women's rights"
- 2015-02-25 - Mobilization for political Reform and transparent elections continues
- 2015-02-18 - Fraternity Campaign 2015 starts today, theme "Brotherhood: Church and Society "
- 2015-02-16 - Ten years ago the assassination of Sr Dorothy Stang, a seed which is bearing copious fruit
- 2015-02-06 - Missionary organizations at work in 2015: Permanent formation and suburbs
- 2015-01-28 - Missionaries study "concentration and manipulation of the media"
- 2015-01-12 - Recalling the earthquake in Haiti with the testimony of Zilda Arns
- 2014-12-15 - cultural immersion before the mission
- 2014-12-02 - In Haiti, the needs are still so many, the commitment of the religious women of Brazil continues