AMERICA/BRAZIL - Mgr. Pedro Casaldáliga threatened again because he supports the indigenous Xavante
Mato Grosso (Agenzia Fides) – His Exc. Mgr. Pedro Casaldáliga, Bishop Prelate Emeritus of Sao Felix, was forced to leave the village of Sao Felix do Araguaia, in Brazil, due to the resurgence of threats, which he has been receiving for years for his work in favor of the Indians. According to the note sent to Fides Agency by the Indigenous Missionary Council (CIMI), the threats have doubled in recent weeks, most likely due to the impending decision of a court which, according to judicial sources, will vote in favor of the Xavante Indians in a case for the ownership of land near São Félix do Araguaia.
According to CIMI, the announcement of the impending judgment meant that one of the people most threatened by invaders of the lands inhabited by the Xavante is precisely Mgr. Casaldáliga. The CIMI and other indigenous organizations have expressed "full support" to the Bishop, who "since setting foot in the land of Araguaia has been working in defense of the interests of the poor, indigenous peoples and workers."
He was born in Catalonia (Spain) 84 years ago, Mgr. Casadáliga arrived in the Brazilian Amazon in 1968, after spending seven years as a missionary in Equatorial Guinea. The indigenous Xavante have always been able to count on his support and solidarity. The CIMI is an organization which has recently celebrated 40 years at the service of indigenous groups (see Fides 22/11/2012). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/12/2012)
- 2013-05-16 AMERICA/BRAZIL – Still victims because of the mismanagement of health care of indigenous peoples
- 2013-05-14 AMERICA/BRAZIL - India is at the center of the reflection for the Week of Prayer for the Unity of Brazilian Christians
- 2013-03-15 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Nearly 800,000 people have been killed by gunfire in the last 30 years
- 2013-03-01 AMERICA/BRAZIL - "The conflict over the land is also ruining our culture," say the indigenous communities
- 2013-02-20 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Fighting trafficking of women with international emergency telephone help lines
- 2013-02-15 AMERICA/BRAZIL - A parish in the heart of the Amazon for the Redemptorist missionaries
- 2013-02-15 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Protagonists of a strategic development: young people in the Fraternity Campaign 2013
- 2012-12-19 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Priest murdered during a robbery
- 2012-12-14 AMERICA/BRAZIL - New support to Mgr. Casaldáliga from the Chamber of Deputies
- 2012-12-10 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Mgr. Pedro Casaldáliga threatened again because he supports the indigenous Xavante