AMERICA/BRAZIL - Mgr. Pedro Casaldáliga threatened again because he supports the indigenous Xavante
Mato Grosso (Agenzia Fides) – His Exc. Mgr. Pedro Casaldáliga, Bishop Prelate Emeritus of Sao Felix, was forced to leave the village of Sao Felix do Araguaia, in Brazil, due to the resurgence of threats, which he has been receiving for years for his work in favor of the Indians. According to the note sent to Fides Agency by the Indigenous Missionary Council (CIMI), the threats have doubled in recent weeks, most likely due to the impending decision of a court which, according to judicial sources, will vote in favor of the Xavante Indians in a case for the ownership of land near São Félix do Araguaia.
According to CIMI, the announcement of the impending judgment meant that one of the people most threatened by invaders of the lands inhabited by the Xavante is precisely Mgr. Casaldáliga. The CIMI and other indigenous organizations have expressed "full support" to the Bishop, who "since setting foot in the land of Araguaia has been working in defense of the interests of the poor, indigenous peoples and workers."
He was born in Catalonia (Spain) 84 years ago, Mgr. Casadáliga arrived in the Brazilian Amazon in 1968, after spending seven years as a missionary in Equatorial Guinea. The indigenous Xavante have always been able to count on his support and solidarity. The CIMI is an organization which has recently celebrated 40 years at the service of indigenous groups (see Fides 22/11/2012). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/12/2012)
- 2014-09-02 - Bishops’ Conference promotes television debate between candidates for Presidency
- 2014-08-22 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – The "Ecumenism and the Missions" Symposium begins
- 2014-07-23 - Mission to relieve: a challenge for evangelization; the Missionary Campaign 2014 begins
- 2014-07-18 - The first "National Catholic Congress online" for those working in the field of evangelization
- 2014-07-16 - A photo exhibition on the 33 years of fighting for the rights of indigenous peoples arrives in Manaus
- 2014-07-04 - "Immediate answers concerning the issue of immigrants are urgently needed"
- 2014-06-30 - Exploitation of children: from the World Cup to the Winter Olympics 2016
- 2014-06-24 - "Mission to relieve" the missionary campaign against human trafficking in persons
- 2014-06-23 - The tragedy of child prostitution behind the glitz of the World Cup
- 2014-06-17 - Social inclusion and missionary work, the commitment of the Church in Brazil for Haiti continues