AMERICA/BRAZIL - Mgr. Pedro Casaldáliga threatened again because he supports the indigenous Xavante
Mato Grosso (Agenzia Fides) – His Exc. Mgr. Pedro Casaldáliga, Bishop Prelate Emeritus of Sao Felix, was forced to leave the village of Sao Felix do Araguaia, in Brazil, due to the resurgence of threats, which he has been receiving for years for his work in favor of the Indians. According to the note sent to Fides Agency by the Indigenous Missionary Council (CIMI), the threats have doubled in recent weeks, most likely due to the impending decision of a court which, according to judicial sources, will vote in favor of the Xavante Indians in a case for the ownership of land near São Félix do Araguaia.
According to CIMI, the announcement of the impending judgment meant that one of the people most threatened by invaders of the lands inhabited by the Xavante is precisely Mgr. Casaldáliga. The CIMI and other indigenous organizations have expressed "full support" to the Bishop, who "since setting foot in the land of Araguaia has been working in defense of the interests of the poor, indigenous peoples and workers."
He was born in Catalonia (Spain) 84 years ago, Mgr. Casadáliga arrived in the Brazilian Amazon in 1968, after spending seven years as a missionary in Equatorial Guinea. The indigenous Xavante have always been able to count on his support and solidarity. The CIMI is an organization which has recently celebrated 40 years at the service of indigenous groups (see Fides 22/11/2012). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/12/2012)
- 2013-11-29 AMERICA/BRAZIL - A single voice: "the problem concerning land has to be solved permanently"
- 2013-11-20 AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Play for Life" campaign against human trafficking in view of the World Cup
- 2013-11-09 AMERICA/BRAZIL - The Bishops: Catholic communities in the front line against human trafficking
- 2013-10-19 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Orionines at the Assembly in Aparecida, 100 years after the arrival of the first missionaries in Brazil
- 2013-10-07 AMERICA/BRAZIL - III World Conference on Child Labour
- 2013-10-05 AMERICA/BRAZIL - The invitation of the PMS: The mission must rely on the dynamism and generosity of the youth
- 2013-09-27 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Defense of the Constitution, human rights, the environment: national mobilization of the indigenous
- 2013-09-27 AMERICA/BRAZIL - The "Igreja Catholic apostolic brasileira" is a schismatic community
- 2013-09-23 AMERICA/BRAZIL - The PMS of the Southern Cone prepare CAM4 - COMLA9
- 2013-09-21 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Violence, murders and suicides, the indigenous people hope in the aid of the Church