AMERICA/PANAMA - Archbishop Ulloa is the new President of SEDAC
Panama City (Agenzia Fides) – His Exc. Mgr. José Domingo Ulloa Mendieta, Archbishop of Panama, was elected President of the Bishops' Secretariat of Central America (SEDAC) for a term of four years.
The Auxiliary Bishop of the same archdiocese, His Exc. Mgr. Pablo Varela Server, was instead appointed Secretary of the SEDAC. The election took place during the General Assembly of the SEDAC, on November 29 (see Fides 28/11/2012).
The note sent to Fides Agency says that Mons.Ulloa expressed with great humility his gratitude to God, and accepted the responsibility to support the action of the Church in the region, which has as its main challenges issues such as youth, the promotion of priestly vocations, poverty and the coherence of Catholics in public life. Mgr. Ulloa had faced recently serious social and political problems of the Catholic community of which he is Pastor, only a few weeks ago, in October, he intervened to propose dialogue as the only solution to the conflict in the city of Colon (see Fides 24/10/2012). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 03/12/2012)
- 2013-11-25 AMERICA/PANAMA - Religious leaders’ appeal to stop violence against children and adolescents
- 2013-10-31 AMERICA/PANAMA - Priest killed in broad daylight in front of the Bishop's house
- 2013-10-24 AMERICA/PANAMA - Education, health care and food for children belonging to poor communities
- 2013-10-16 AMERICA/PANAMA - The Church ready to mediate between the government and doctors on strike
- 2013-10-10 AMERICA/PANAMA – Doctors on strike stop the country, the mediation of the Church is requested
- 2013-09-17 AMERICA/PANAMA - The deaths of poor children are 5 times higher in Latin America than in the rest of the world
- 2013-07-12 AMERICA/PANAMA - "Defender who does not defend", scandal in the country, the Church's intervention
- 2013-03-09 AMERICA/PANAMA - The "Electoral Ethics Pact" promoted by the Church signed by the parties, not by the government
- 2013-03-05 AMERICA/PANAMA - "Do not give support to candidates who do not sign the Electoral Ethics Pact" insists the Church
- 2013-02-21 AMERICA/PANAMA - No to text changes in Electoral Ethics Pact