AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - Cholera outbreak: lack of health facilities and functional water systems
Bissau (Agenzia Fides) - The rate of the spread of cholera decreases in Guinea and Sierra Leone, whereas Guinea-Bissau in past days 1,500 cases and 9 deaths have been reported. Simão Mendes National Hospital, in the capital Bissau, in the past few weeks assisted 500 patients, but doctors say the peak of the epidemic has not yet been reached. The poor and almost non-existent health facilities, as well as hydrological, make the country fertile ground for the pandemic. Some experts believe that the strain was probably transmitted by fishermen in Sierra Leone and Guinea, although it has not yet been confirmed. According to the local Ministry of Health, the epidemic is spreading in 7 of the 9 administrative areas of Guinea Bissau. Water systems have been catastrophic, however, since 2009 onwards, prevention at a household level has greatly improved. In the African country there was a plague that affected 14,222 people and killed 225 in 2008. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 14/11/2012)
- 2014-04-12 - The Bishops on the eve of the election: vote for those who promote the common good
- 2014-04-11 - Presidential and parliamentary elections will be held on Sunday
- 2013-12-09 - On December 13, National Day of Prayer and Fasting for Peace convened by the Bishops
- 2012-12-28 - Rediscovering our faith and witnessing it in society: letter from the Bishop of Bissau
- 2012-11-14 - Cholera outbreak: lack of health facilities and functional water systems
- 2012-10-22 - Allegations to Portugal for the assault against the barracks, so "the isolation of the Country accentuates"
- 2012-10-02 - October 13 - opening of the Year of Faith; "Maria, increase our faith" theme of the 8 December pilgrimage
- 2012-09-24 - Bishop of Bissau's appeal: "we urgently need medicines for tuberculosis and AIDS"
- 2012-08-27 - Missionary experience of the Youth Movement to Build
- 2012-05-18 - The first soldiers of the CEDEAO have arrived , expectation for the formation of the transition government