AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - "Stop violence against women" asks Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez at the end of the Mariana March
Santo Domingo (Agenzia Fides) - Thousands of Catholics gathered on Sunday, October 28, at the "Centro de los Heroes" for the opening of the Year of Faith. Cardinal Nicolas de Jesus Lopez Rodriguez, Archbishop of Santo Domingo, urged to pray for the country, so that it is able to come out from the stressful situation that it is in with energy and denounced the cruelty of men towards women (see Fides 15/09/2012). He also asked the government to increase aid to the hundreds of families affected by Hurricane Sandy which has caused enormous damage in the Caribbean area (see Fides 29/10/2012).
"You all know, as I do, that there is a lot of tension in the country at the moment. But we still want to report crimes, and the wickedness of many men who kill women," said the Cardinal. In a statement sent to Fides Agency one reads his words, "a lot of things annoy us, but this makes us feel sick. A country that has a tradition of 500 years of Christian faith today cannot live this way. I think this Year of Faith can help all of us live the Christian faith intensely , on the basis of the Gospel preached by Jesus Christ."
Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez spoke at the end of the "Mariana March," which began at 3 pm from Piazza Juan Baron and arrived at the "Centro de los Heroes", where he presided over the Eucharist concelebrated by Auxiliary Bishops in Santo Domingo. The March, which lasted two hours, crossed the main street with more than 40 decorated carts for the traditional feast of Our Lady. The faithful of the 204 parishes throughout the province were present and people came from all over the country. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 30/10/2012)
- 2015-10-29 - Archbishop Bretón Martínez contrary to the wall to prevent the entry of Haitians
- 2015-10-16 - "Learn to live with mutual respect": tension between Haiti and Dominican Republic decreases
- 2015-10-09 - Catholic Church and Public Health together against dengue
- 2015-10-06 - Tensions between Haiti and Santo Domingo for economic measures, the Bishops denounce those who sow discord
- 2015-09-30 - First "regional dialogue" against food waste
- 2015-09-25 - Thousands of pilgrims for the feast of the Patron saint of the country
- 2015-09-22 - Dengue: alert in hospitals and health centers in the Country
- 2015-08-04 - “Haiti refuses to help its own emigrants to regularise their status ” Dominican Republic intellectuals claim
- 2015-08-03 - Migrants: Bishops call for definitive solution
- 2015-07-24 - “Working at prevention” can put an end to violence, says Bishop Peña Rodríguez