AFRICA/SOMALIA - The 25 candidates for the 10 September presidential elections have been chosen
Mogadishu (Agenzia Fides) - There are 25 candidates in the 10 September Somali presidential elections approved by the Electoral Parliamentary Commission. Today, September 7, candidates will present their program to the Somali Parliament. Among them is also the son of former dictator Siad Barre. The President of Somalia will be voted by Parliament which took office in recent weeks (see Fides 09/21/2012). The procedure provides that if no candidate reaches two thirds of the vote, a second vote is held among the four candidates who have obtained the highest number of votes. If in this second ballot no candidate is able to obtain two-thirds of the vote, there will be a final ballot between the two candidates who obtained the highest number of votes.
The election of the Head of State is part of the transition process promoted by the UN to give Somalia credible state institutions after 20 years of absence of a central State. The stabilization process is still far from complete, however, particularly at a military level. In fact air, naval and land bombing continue on Kismayo, the last stronghold of the Shabaab by the Kenyan forces (which have intervened in Somalia for months) in preparation for the offensive to capture the city by Somali forces and those of AMISOM (African Union Mission in Somalia). The Shabaab, however, show that they are still able to carry out attacks in other parts of Somalia, including the capital Mogadishu, where on 6 September a bomb hit an armored vehicle of AMISOM. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 07/09/2012)
- 2014-10-10 - "After military action, social and economic development is now necessary", said Mgr. Bertin
- 2014-07-04 - The first container of medicines of Caritas Somalia and NGO Perigeo on the road to the Somali government
- 2014-06-06 - Children under 5 years of age malnourished and at risk of infectious diseases
- 2014-05-19 - Humanitarian agencies: interventions are urgently needed for the population
- 2014-03-10 - west of Somalia
- 2014-02-27 - 50,000 Somali children at risk for malnutrition and inadequate sanitation
- 2013-10-08 - The work of Annalena Tonelli is still alive 10 years after her murder
- 2013-09-11 - Campaign for the schooling of one million children
- 2013-09-04 - Mgr. Bertin: "I hope in authentic dialogue with regards to the need for everybody to get out of the crisis in Somalia"
- 2013-09-02 - Emergency for women and children in refugee camps