Mogadishu (Agenzia Fides) - Attacks on civilians continue in Somalia against a background of political instability, famine and floods. Another group of civilians lost their lives when they were blown up by a landmine operated by al-Shabaab militias near a village outside of Buloburde, some 220 kilometers north of Somalia's capital Mogadishu. Local military sources said the umpteenth attack was in revenge against rebels who had suffered defeats in ongoing military operations in the region. "The terrorists were defeated in an armed skirmish and took revenge on civilians. They planted a mine along the main road used by civilians", said a statement on the incident. The rebel group linked to al-Qaeda has been present in Somalia for over 15 years, it had tried to overthrow the government in 2007 (see Fides, 7/11/2007) and had been expelled from Mogadishu in 2011.
"Despite a major offensive launched in August 2022 by pro-government forces, supported by African Union troops, remains a deadly, destructive force, fueling criminal acts like the recent one perpetrated yesterday, July 11, 2023". (AP) (Agenzia Fides, 12/7/2023)