AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - The Lusophone Countries do not accept the agreement between the coup leaders and the West African States
Bissau (Agenzia Fides) – The situation in Guinea Bissau is still blocked where a new government to overcome the crisis caused by the military coup on April 12 seems difficult to form. ECOWAS (Economic Community of West African States) has accepted Manuel Serifo Nhamadjo, the candidate proposed by the military junta, as Head of State in this phase of transition in view of new elections. "The PAGC, the main party in the Country, the European Union and especially the Community of Portuguese Language Countries (CPLP), however, oppose to this solution and ask to re-establish the situation as it were before the coup," explains to Fides Fr. Davide Sciocco, a missionary of the PIME, director of Radio Sol Mansi.
"The weight of ECOWAS is fairly consistent. African countries are conducting the negotiations between the parties of Guinea Bissau to find a way out of the crisis. The protagonists of the negotiation are Nigeria and Cote d'Ivoire, which have pushed for the appointment of the new Head of State and are working to form a new government, "said Fr. Sciocco. "The CPLP does not agree with this solution, because it means coming down to deal with the coup plotters."
"Most people do not actually approve the coup - says the missionary -. On the other hand though, people desire to have a government because schools and offices are closed and the salaries of state employees are not paid. It is a very complicated situation," said Fr Sciocco. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 14/5/2012)
- 2013-12-09 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - On December 13, National Day of Prayer and Fasting for Peace convened by the Bishops
- 2012-12-28 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - Rediscovering our faith and witnessing it in society: letter from the Bishop of Bissau
- 2012-11-14 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - Cholera outbreak: lack of health facilities and functional water systems
- 2012-10-22 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - Allegations to Portugal for the assault against the barracks, so "the isolation of the Country accentuates"
- 2012-10-02 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - October 13 - opening of the Year of Faith; "Maria, increase our faith" theme of the 8 December pilgrimage
- 2012-09-24 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - Bishop of Bissau's appeal: "we urgently need medicines for tuberculosis and AIDS"
- 2012-08-27 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - Missionary experience of the Youth Movement to Build
- 2012-05-18 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - The first soldiers of the CEDEAO have arrived , expectation for the formation of the transition government
- 2012-05-14 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - The Lusophone Countries do not accept the agreement between the coup leaders and the West African States
- 2012-05-09 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - The Church continues to invest in young people, hope for a better future