AFRICA/BURUNDI - Help for displaced people due to the torrential rains in the Gatumba is urgently needed
Bujumbura (Agenzia Fides) - Torrential rains are hitting Gatumba, a suburb of the capital of Burundi, Bujumbura, where at least 2 000 people are displaced and need food and shelter. The rains have destroyed about 400 homes and further damage is feared in the hardest hit areas of Kinyinya, Mushasha and Muyange. The houses are surrounded by water and many continue to fall down. The most affected families seek refuge from neighbors whose homes have not been destroyed; other 32 families have been housed in the local Anglican church. Those responsible for administering Gatumba have appealed to the government and humanitarian organizations to help people affected to find shelter. Everything is being done to help these people in the shortest possible time. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 23/2/2012)
- 2015-09-25 - The control of rare Burundian earths behind the political crisis related to the third term of Nkurunziza?
- 2015-09-24 - The government rejects the invitation to dialogue "with all" addressed by the Bishops
- 2015-09-16 - UN warning: "The crisis in Burundi can trigger a broader regional conflict"
- 2015-09-12 - The Bishops denounce the climate of violence and the rekindling of the spirit of division of the Country
- 2015-09-11 - The Chief of Staff escapes a road ambush carried out by rebel soldiers
- 2015-09-10 - Assault against a military post near the capital, the population takes refuge in the parish
- 2015-08-25 - In Bujumbura, one lives in fear: every night murders and disappearances of suspected opponents
- 2015-08-04 - AFRICA/BURUNDI – Night shooting in the capital, human rights activist wounded
- 2015-08-03 - General Nshimirimana killed: fighting within the government or rebel ambush?
- 2015-07-16 - Doubts of the Burundian opposition regarding the mediation of Museveni