AFRICA/BURUNDI - Help for displaced people due to the torrential rains in the Gatumba is urgently needed
Bujumbura (Agenzia Fides) - Torrential rains are hitting Gatumba, a suburb of the capital of Burundi, Bujumbura, where at least 2 000 people are displaced and need food and shelter. The rains have destroyed about 400 homes and further damage is feared in the hardest hit areas of Kinyinya, Mushasha and Muyange. The houses are surrounded by water and many continue to fall down. The most affected families seek refuge from neighbors whose homes have not been destroyed; other 32 families have been housed in the local Anglican church. Those responsible for administering Gatumba have appealed to the government and humanitarian organizations to help people affected to find shelter. Everything is being done to help these people in the shortest possible time. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 23/2/2012)
- 2014-12-10 - "Elections are an opportunity for the Country and not a step back" warn the Bishops
- 2014-09-11 - Missionaries killed: "We do not believe in the police’s version, however, we will continue with our mission", says a nun
- 2014-09-09 - "The murdered nuns will be buried in Africa: love to the very end” says former regional Xavarian superior
- 2014-09-08 - Three Xaverian Missionaries killed in Burundi: the mission is full of people anxious to express sympathy with the sisters
- 2014-07-08 - The 'untouchables' of Burundi still waiting for full integration
- 2014-05-08 - The President of the Episcopal Conference announces the Diocesan Synods in order "to strengthen unity and deepen faith"
- 2014-03-25 - Parliament rejects the Constitutional Revision
- 2014-03-18 - "We are very concerned about the growing tensions" says local Church sources to Fides
- 2013-11-28 - Great Lakes civil Society at a meeting to consolidate peace
- 2013-11-06 - "Healing the ills of Africa to prevent tragedies such as what happened in Lampedusa "