AFRICA/BURUNDI - Help for displaced people due to the torrential rains in the Gatumba is urgently needed
Bujumbura (Agenzia Fides) - Torrential rains are hitting Gatumba, a suburb of the capital of Burundi, Bujumbura, where at least 2 000 people are displaced and need food and shelter. The rains have destroyed about 400 homes and further damage is feared in the hardest hit areas of Kinyinya, Mushasha and Muyange. The houses are surrounded by water and many continue to fall down. The most affected families seek refuge from neighbors whose homes have not been destroyed; other 32 families have been housed in the local Anglican church. Those responsible for administering Gatumba have appealed to the government and humanitarian organizations to help people affected to find shelter. Everything is being done to help these people in the shortest possible time. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 23/2/2012)
- 2015-05-28 - The Church withdraws from the election process: "we cannot make ourselves guarantors of elections full of gaps"
- 2015-05-21 - The Church cannot support an electoral process that is likely to divide citizens
- 2015-05-19 - After the failed coup, demonstrations resume against the third presidential term
- 2015-05-16 - Five radio stations attacked during violence over an attempted coup in Bujumbura
- 2015-05-15 - Coup failed: "The streets of Bujumbura are deserted and the national broadcaster is the only outlet still broadcasting"
- 2015-05-11 - AFRICA/BURUNDI – There are already more than 50,000 Burundian refugees in neighboring Countries
- 2015-05-08 - Difficult negotiations between the government and opposition to overcome the political crisis
- 2015-05-07 - "May elections be held" ask the Bishops, invoking the path of dialogue
- 2015-05-05 - The Constitutional Court approves third term for Nkurunziza, while protests continue
- 2015-05-04 - AFRICA/BURUNDI – Shooting in Bujumbura while protesters make their way to the center of the capital