Havana (Agenzia Fides) - The Redemptorist Missionaries celebrated in 2011, the tenth anniversary of their return to Cuba from Spain, they had in fact already worked in Cuba from 1927 to 1976, and then had to leave the island. A new phase of the presence of the Redemptorists began in 2001, when two religious arrived in Paraguay on the island of Juventud (small island geographically separated from the island of Cuba, but has always belonged to Cuba), to deal with the mission of Nueva Gerona, in the city that bears the same name. A few years later, in 2005, the Redemptorists assumed the responsibility of the Parish of Christ the Redeemer in Havana. At the moment the mission is in a phase of transition. In fact, in early 2011, the Redemptorists of the northern Sub-Region of Latin America and the Caribbeans (URNALC) have assumed responsibility for the pastoral care of the Redemptorist community in Cuba.
The note sent to Agenzia Fides by the Redemptorist Missionaries reports that in Cuba there are many needs and pastoral needs. Father Jorge Gomez Rueda, from Bogota, and Father Alirio Suárez Velazco, of the Vice Province of Caracas, as representatives of URNALC, visited the Cuban mission during the significant date of the return to Cuba. They had, therefore, the opportunity to join the 5 Redemptorist missionaries who are currently living in Cuba, to reflect with them on the needs of the mission and to celebrate 10 years of the "new" presence on the island of the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer, founded by St. Alphonsus Maria Liguori. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/12/2011)