AFRICA/COTE D'IVOIRE - Victory of the President’s coalition
Abidjan (Agenzia Fides ) - The coalition led by President Alassane Ouattara obtained 80% of the vote in the parliamentary elections in Côte d'Ivoire held on 11 December, according to official figures released today, December 16, the Independent Electoral Commission, led by Ouattara's party, the Rassemblement des Republicans, obtained 127 seats while its ally, the Parti Démocratique de Côte d'Ivoire (PDC, former President Henri Konan Bédié) obtained 77. The seats up for grabs were 254, but one has to carry out a vote apart to give the 255th seat after the death of a candidate. The turnout was low, 36.56%, due to the boycott by the Front Populaire Ivoirien (FPI) to protest against the handing over to the International Criminal Court (ICC) of its leader, former President Laurent Gbagbo. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 16/12/2011)
- 2014-05-07 - Twelve thousand children work as slaves on cocoa farms
- 2014-03-28 - New program for social integration and peace education
- 2012-08-06 - At least 6 people killed in an assault on a police station in Abidjan
- 2012-07-12 - "No to the cultural leveling, yes to the rediscovery of the richness of African culture," said Cardinal Sarr
- 2012-06-14 - Still deaths in the West, "There are too many weapons in circulation" reports the Bishop of Man
- 2012-06-11 - Civilians fleeing the south-west after the killing of 7 "Blue Helmets"
- 2012-06-08 - Mobile Libraries for orphaned and vulnerable children due to HIV/AIDS
- 2012-01-31 - The newly formed Regional Episcopal Conference of West Africa (RECOWA-CERAO)
- 2012-01-24 - The Prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples (CEP), Archbishop Filoni, to the Bishops of Western Africa: "to live fully, and in truth, an effective and affective pastoral solidarity"
- 2011-12-16 - Victory of the President’s coalition