AFRICA/COTE D'IVOIRE - Victory of the President’s coalition
Abidjan (Agenzia Fides ) - The coalition led by President Alassane Ouattara obtained 80% of the vote in the parliamentary elections in Côte d'Ivoire held on 11 December, according to official figures released today, December 16, the Independent Electoral Commission, led by Ouattara's party, the Rassemblement des Republicans, obtained 127 seats while its ally, the Parti Démocratique de Côte d'Ivoire (PDC, former President Henri Konan Bédié) obtained 77. The seats up for grabs were 254, but one has to carry out a vote apart to give the 255th seat after the death of a candidate. The turnout was low, 36.56%, due to the boycott by the Front Populaire Ivoirien (FPI) to protest against the handing over to the International Criminal Court (ICC) of its leader, former President Laurent Gbagbo. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 16/12/2011)
- 2015-05-12 - The Bishops urge to "work for reconciliation in view of elections"
- 2015-01-28 - In view of the elections there is growing concern for children abducted for macabre rituals
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishops denounce: "Ivorian society is sick at a spiritual and moral level"
- 2014-10-14 - 30% of children between 10 and 14 years of age have been sexually abused
- 2014-09-22 - Refugees in Liberia blocked due to Ebola
- 2014-09-18 - "The Church has to monitor society so that it does not go adrift", says the President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2014-05-07 - Twelve thousand children work as slaves on cocoa farms
- 2014-03-28 - New program for social integration and peace education
- 2012-08-06 - At least 6 people killed in an assault on a police station in Abidjan
- 2012-07-12 - "No to the cultural leveling, yes to the rediscovery of the richness of African culture," said Cardinal Sarr