AFRICA/BURUNDI - A nun and a volunteer killed, another woman religious seriously injured during a robbery
Kiremba (Agenzia Fides) - Mother Lukrecija Mamica, of Croatian origin, and Francesco Bazzani, an Italian volunteer, were killed during a robbery attempt, while a second religious, Italian, Sister Carla Brianza, was injured and had to undergo surgical surgery. The serious incident took place last night, Sunday, November 27, when some criminals broke into the Sisters’ house "Servants of Charity" (Ancelle della Carita') in Kiremba in north western Burundi, near the big hospital where the women religious lend their service. Mother Lukrecija was killed in cold blood, while Sister Carla and the volunteer were kidnapped by bandits who, soon after, fearing a confrontation with the police, made them get out of the car. Francesco Bazzani was killed while Sister Carla responded, although she was injured. This latest episode of violence in the region devastated by the genocide of 1994, is a further evidence of the work of many missionaries is not humanly understood by those who still have the soul full of hatred. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 28/11/2011)
- 2015-11-19 - "Weak signs of hope thanks to pressure from China and Kenya for an inclusive dialogue"
- 2015-11-18 - Shooting during the night in Bujumbura
- 2015-11-16 - Shootings in Bujumbura, also in the central areas
- 2015-11-09 - A situation that seems beyond control
- 2015-11-06 - Burundi threatens the risk of a civil war
- 2015-10-29 - The situation is getting worse; UN and African Union open an investigation into the violations of human rights
- 2015-10-13 - Tension between Burundi and Rwanda: "there is a risk of an explosion in the Great Lakes region"
- 2015-09-25 - The control of rare Burundian earths behind the political crisis related to the third term of Nkurunziza?
- 2015-09-24 - The government rejects the invitation to dialogue "with all" addressed by the Bishops
- 2015-09-16 - UN warning: "The crisis in Burundi can trigger a broader regional conflict"