AFRICA/BURUNDI - A nun and a volunteer killed, another woman religious seriously injured during a robbery
Kiremba (Agenzia Fides) - Mother Lukrecija Mamica, of Croatian origin, and Francesco Bazzani, an Italian volunteer, were killed during a robbery attempt, while a second religious, Italian, Sister Carla Brianza, was injured and had to undergo surgical surgery. The serious incident took place last night, Sunday, November 27, when some criminals broke into the Sisters’ house "Servants of Charity" (Ancelle della Carita') in Kiremba in north western Burundi, near the big hospital where the women religious lend their service. Mother Lukrecija was killed in cold blood, while Sister Carla and the volunteer were kidnapped by bandits who, soon after, fearing a confrontation with the police, made them get out of the car. Francesco Bazzani was killed while Sister Carla responded, although she was injured. This latest episode of violence in the region devastated by the genocide of 1994, is a further evidence of the work of many missionaries is not humanly understood by those who still have the soul full of hatred. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 28/11/2011)
- 2014-09-11 - Missionaries killed: "We do not believe in the police’s version, however, we will continue with our mission", says a nun
- 2014-09-09 - "The murdered nuns will be buried in Africa: love to the very end” says former regional Xavarian superior
- 2014-09-08 - Three Xaverian Missionaries killed in Burundi: the mission is full of people anxious to express sympathy with the sisters
- 2014-07-08 - The 'untouchables' of Burundi still waiting for full integration
- 2014-05-08 - The President of the Episcopal Conference announces the Diocesan Synods in order "to strengthen unity and deepen faith"
- 2014-03-25 - Parliament rejects the Constitutional Revision
- 2014-03-18 - "We are very concerned about the growing tensions" says local Church sources to Fides
- 2013-11-28 - Great Lakes civil Society at a meeting to consolidate peace
- 2013-11-06 - "Healing the ills of Africa to prevent tragedies such as what happened in Lampedusa "
- 2013-01-28 - The national stock of essential goods destroyed in the fire of the central market in Bujumbura