AFRICA/CAMEROON - Paul Biya re-elected President of Cameroon
Yaounde (Agenzia Fides) - The outgoing President of Cameroon, Paul Biya, was re-elected the Head of State for the sixth time in the elections held on 9 October (see Fides 10/10/2011).
This was announced on October 21 by the Supreme Court. Biya, 78 years old, obtained 3,772,527 votes (77.989%).
On the eve of the proclamation of the election results the Bishops had launched an appeal for calm and dialogue, and warned the population not to fall victim of violent provocations. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 22/10/2011)
- 2015-02-23 - Cameroonian press questions French policy to fight Boko Haram
- 2014-10-22 - African Catholic Bishops: "Respect democratic turnover"
- 2014-10-13 - "Only the Church assists victims of Boko Haram in the north of Cameroon," says a missionary
- 2014-09-03 - Humanitarian emergency for more than 30.000 people fleeing Boko Haram
- 2014-07-16 - Insecurity caused by Boko Haram: The Church promotes a day of prayer
- 2014-06-27 - An alleged kidnapper of the Italian missionaries and Canadian nun has been arrested
- 2014-06-02 - Missionaries released: "A grace of God and a time of joy for the Church", said Cardinal Filoni who met them
- 2014-05-30 - VATICAN – A Church which is dynamic, lively and growing, despite difficulties: Cardinal Filoni meets the Bishops and priests of Cameroon
- 2014-05-30 - VATICAN – A hundred years after the Evangelization of Bamenda: deepen your faith and renew your missionary commitment urges Cardinal Filoni
- 2014-05-27 - 100 years of evangelization in Bamenda: "We aim at the inculturation of faith and human promotion", says the Archbishop