AFRICA/CAMEROON - Weak participation and murder of two policemen mark the elections
Yaounde (Agenzia Fides) - A relatively weak turnout characterized the presidential elections in Cameroon, yesterday, Sunday, Oct. 9, according to news agency reports (see Fides 08/10/2011). The election day was also marred by the killing of two policemen in charge of ensuring the security of the vote in the Bakassi Peninsula, an area long disputed between Nigeria and Cameroon, which has an international arbitration permanently assigned to the latter (see Fides 24/06/2005). In the area rich in fish resource, as well as oil and gas, there are several armed groups dedicated to banditry. The outgoing President Paul Biya, in power for 29 years, will most likely be re-elected. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 10/10/2011)
- 2014-01-03 AFRICA/CAMEROON - Fr. Georges Vandenbeusch welcomed in France by his parishioners
- 2013-11-28 AFRICA/CAMEROON - The Bishops: "Pray for the release of hostages in the world and in particular for Fr. Vandenbeusch"
- 2013-11-15 AFRICA/CAMEROON - French priest kidnapped by Boko Haram: to Fides the testimony of the previous pastor
- 2013-11-14 AFRICA/CAMEROON - Fidei Donum priest kidnapped
- 2013-04-29 AFRICA/CAMEROON - 3 out of 10 children are likely to die of malaria
- 2012-09-05 AFRICA/CAMEROON - Pan-African Congress of Catholic laity: "Being witnesses of Jesus Christ in Africa Today"
- 2011-10-22 AFRICA/CAMEROON - Paul Biya re-elected President of Cameroon
- 2011-10-10 AFRICA/CAMEROON - Weak participation and murder of two policemen mark the elections
- 2011-10-08 AFRICA/CAMEROON - "The future of Cameroon is in our hands" recall the Bishops on the occasion of tomorrow's presidential election
- 2011-07-07 AFRICA/CAMEROON-Appointment of the Rector of the Theological major Seminary "Paul VI" in the Archdiocese of Douala