AFRICA/CONGO RD - Everyday life of a missionary in Congo shared by missionary Father Sergio Vandini
Rome (Fides Service)- Rev. Father Sergio Vandini, from Terni diocese in Italy, sent as a Fidei Donum priest to Ntambue, 10 km from Kananga, West Kasai, Democratic Republic of Congo, sent Fides a brief report on his life as a missionary. Here is our English translation of his message which we publish as an act of gratitude to all the missionaries working silently to announce with their lives the joy of the Gospel:
“ Ntambue Mission
I have just arrived back from 4 days in Kalomba, where I went on Thursday to give religious instruction in the school. The boy who helps me is in bed with a temperature. It rained heavily but all went well. I celebrated three Baptisms and blessed two twins at the altar, I took Communion to the sick, anointed the elders of the charismatic group and collected the village maize crop, which is small because the village is small. In the month of March I will take the mission jeep and drive around collecting maize from all the villages: we ask each family to offer a barrel of maize. We keep in it the store house and in the dry season it will be sold and the money put to the Community fund. This works quite well. But we have to weigh the maize otherwise people might want to eat some of it on the way…
African Blessing, Father Sergio”. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/2/2004, righe 26 parole 239)
- 2015-07-09 - Violence prevents aid workers to provide safe medical care
- 2015-02-23 - Release of Indian Jesuit held hostage for eight months
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – First baby arrives in MSF new maternity centre in Kabul
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"