AFRICA/ANGOLA - TRAGIC ACCIDENT AT CHIULO INVOLVING HEALTH WORKERS SENT BY CUAMM MEDICI CON L’AFRICA: ONE KILLED THE OTHER SERIOUSLY INJURED
Rome (Fides Service) - Not mines, not some terrible disease but a tragic road accident due to bad roads in the rainy season was the cause of the accident involving Italian CUAMM health care workers at Chiulo in Angola. One of the women who was from Valstagna (Vicenza) was killed and the other volunteer Marina Trivelli from Carrara (Massa Carrara) was seriously injured. Both had been sent to operate in the African country by the Italian NGO CUAMM Medici con l’Africa which has operated in the continent for more than fifty years.
Coming from Chiulo, in Cunene province in the far south of the country near the border with Namibia, where they worked at the diocesan hospital, Marisa Ferrari, 49, a nurse with a long and consolidated experience of service in Africa and Marina Trivelli, 35, a surgeon, who has worked in Angola for only two years, were on the way to Sangongo, a small town 30 km away. Mud, rain and bad roads caused their vehicle to overturn: Marisa Ferrari was killed instantly and Marina Trivelli was seriously injured.
The distance from the see of Ondjiva diocese, although only 120 km, but at least a three hour journey, made it difficult to report the accident and for rescue workers to arrive. (AP) (3/2/2004 Fides Service lines 18; words 238)
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – First baby arrives in MSF new maternity centre in Kabul
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls