EUROPE/UNITED KINGDOM - 46664: GIVE ONE MINUTE OF YOUR LIFE TO AIDS: NELSON MANDELA SPONSORS MUSIC PROGRAMME TO KEEP ATTENTION ON THE PLAGUE OF AIDS
Rome (Fides Service ) – Music to fight Aids. This is the aim of “Album 46664” a collection of funds for the fight against AIDS. “In the last twenty years – says Nelson Mandela – Africa has been struck by a tragedy of unheard of proportions. Today AIDS kills more people than war, famine natural calamities. It destroys our families, renders hospital work impossible, deprives schools of pupils and teachers. The economy suffers, and will suffer still more, losing workers, productivity and profit. One out of two young people in South Africa will die of AIDS. The economic growth of our country is undermined and the resources are all destined for the consequences of this epidemic”.
Former South African president Mandela recalls that to fight Aids it takes empathy and dialogue, the same ingredients which guaranteed South Africa transition from apartheid to democracy. A new black plague is striking Africa which has 70% of all the HIV positive people in the world.
(AP) (22/10/2003 Fides Service; lines:19 words:187)
- 2015-08-07 - Women and children are the main victims of the war in the Country
- 2015-07-09 - Violence prevents aid workers to provide safe medical care
- 2015-02-23 - Release of Indian Jesuit held hostage for eight months
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – First baby arrives in MSF new maternity centre in Kabul
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society