AFRICA/KENYA - 2003 INTERNATIONAL ICAS CONFERENCE ON AIDS: CHALLENGES
Nairobi (Fides Service) – The 13th International Conference on AIDS will be held in Nairobi, Kenya, 21-27 September. Participants will discuss the Challenges to face in order to solve this serious problem, The first will be to offer adequate assistance and treatment to all African countries where less than 4% of HIV/AIDS sufferers have access to new therapy, mainly due to three causes high prices, scarcity of health infrastructures and trained personnel. Only a minority of HIV/AIDS sufferers in Africa are aware of their condition because of reticence, fear and lack of services for training.
In industrialised countries easy access to tests and prolonged use of new therapy have reduced the numbers of new cases. Here tanks to new therapy AIDS has become a chronic and more manageable illness. In this respect Africa, home to 10% of world’s population, and with 70% HIV positive, has a long way to go. More information at www.icasanairobi2003.org/index.php AP (Fides Service 19/9/2003 EM lines 18 Words: 189)
- 2014-02-26 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 AFRICA - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished
- 2012-06-26 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Victims and people missing due to heavy rainfall recorded in the last days
- 2012-05-25 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The Taliban attack girls' schools in order to force the closure