AMERICA/HAITI - Elections postponed and there is growing uncertainty about the future of the Country
Port au Prince (Agenzia Fides) - The Provisional Electoral Council of Haiti has announced that the planned legislative and municipal elections on October 26 have been postponed, causing tension in a Country which has been devastated for years by political and humanitarian crises, in particular the devastating earthquake of January 12, 2010 which caused about 300,000 deaths, and the cholera epidemic that killed thousands of people.
Earlier this year, the majority of political parties in the Country had signed, through the mediation of the Catholic Church, the agreements that paved the way for the holding of elections (see Fides 17/03/2014). The new electoral law, however, is still blocked, making it impossible to hold the vote.
The international community has called on political actors in Haiti to take urgent and rapid measures to ensure that the elections can be held on the fixed date.
If the situation continues, this will only increase the chaotic situation in the Country and will discourage potential foreign investors. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/08/2014)
- 2015-08-31 - New reception facility for the poorest families who live on the outskirts of the capital
- 2015-08-10 - 5 million Haitians vote in the midst of delays and clashes
- 2015-07-03 - Demonstration for Haitians who risk expulsion from the Dominican Republic
- 2015-06-01 - Nine Haitian Redemptorists have been ordained
- 2015-03-20 - Three murders a day: unprecedented wave of aggression, crimes and violence
- 2015-03-14 - Instability and violence against the religious
- 2015-03-12 - Gang attacks against religious institutes continue
- 2015-01-19 - New cabinet of Haiti to be sworn in today
- 2015-01-14 - AMERICA/HAITI – Parliament dissolved, demonstrations against President increase
- 2015-01-12 - Agreement between the President and opposition: elections in 2015