AMERICA/HAITI - Elections postponed and there is growing uncertainty about the future of the Country
Port au Prince (Agenzia Fides) - The Provisional Electoral Council of Haiti has announced that the planned legislative and municipal elections on October 26 have been postponed, causing tension in a Country which has been devastated for years by political and humanitarian crises, in particular the devastating earthquake of January 12, 2010 which caused about 300,000 deaths, and the cholera epidemic that killed thousands of people.
Earlier this year, the majority of political parties in the Country had signed, through the mediation of the Catholic Church, the agreements that paved the way for the holding of elections (see Fides 17/03/2014). The new electoral law, however, is still blocked, making it impossible to hold the vote.
The international community has called on political actors in Haiti to take urgent and rapid measures to ensure that the elections can be held on the fixed date.
If the situation continues, this will only increase the chaotic situation in the Country and will discourage potential foreign investors. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/08/2014)
- 2015-01-19 - New cabinet of Haiti to be sworn in today
- 2015-01-14 - AMERICA/HAITI – Parliament dissolved, demonstrations against President increase
- 2015-01-12 - Agreement between the President and opposition: elections in 2015
- 2015-01-08 - AMERICA/HAITI – 5 years after the earthquake the Catholic Church is helping Haiti to recover
- 2014-12-09 - Foyer Bethlehem: “giving persons with disabilities what nature and human indifference have denied them”
- 2014-12-01 - A Commission to save the country from the crisis
- 2014-11-27 - The Church ready to intervene to ensure the country's political future
- 2014-10-16 - Haiti will ask for an extension to the Dominican Republic to regulate the "sans papiers"
- 2014-09-23 - Social movements denounce the failure of the UN Mission, protests in the streets
- 2014-08-21 - Elections postponed and there is growing uncertainty about the future of the Country