AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "In Gaza, in Iraq and in Syria, we are faced with stark and horrifying evidence of the moral bankruptcy of modern warfare", say the Bishops
Johannesburg (Agenzia Fides) - "In different parts of Africa, in Iraq and Syria and now in Gaza we are faced with stark and horrifying evidence of the moral bankruptcy of modern warfare", say the Bishops of South Africa, Botswana and Swaziland in a statement issued at the end of the Plenary Assembly of the Southern African Catholic Bishops' Conference (SACBC).
"War that has become interminable - or self-perpetuating, as in Gaza - solves nothing; it never reconciles but only succeeds in entrenching hatred and division", write the Bishops that invite to eradicate "the structural forms of violence" (illegal settlements, the separation wall, the checkpoints, and lack of security that affects both sides) -"there is little hope for any lasting peace".
Bishops define the expulsion and the "martyrdom" of the Iraqi Christian community, heir to a tradition that dates back almost 2,000 years, "absolutely revolting".
"The total destruction of ancient dioceses, parishes full of fervor and families because of their attachment to faith is a crime against humanity", reads the document which adds that "we carry in our hearts even other religious traditions of Iraq that suffer the same fate as the Christian community".
"We admire many of the great religious teachings of Islam, in particular the focus on the poor and needy. We invite the faithful Muslims who believe in our common humanity to put pressure on the extremists so that they stop oppressing religious communities and instead seek the peace that Islam is committed to promoting", the message concludes. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 21/08/2014)
- 2015-04-21 - Natal: a life dedicated to poor children for 60 years
- 2015-04-17 - The Bishops condemn the outburst of xenophobic violence: "we are a nation of peace who conquered apartheid"
- 2015-02-18 - Bishops: “No to human trafficking, abominable business and one of the most profitable”
- 2015-02-16 - AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA – Chaos in Parliament; after 20 years of democracy the nation deserves better the Catholic Bishops say
- 2015-01-29 - The Bishops: "We pay tribute to the consecrated who founded the local Church"
- 2014-11-28 - Bishops reaffirm that the ordination of women to the priesthood is not recognised in the Catholic Church
- 2014-09-30 - Prayers in South Africa for the recognition of the martyrdom of Benedict Daswa
- 2014-09-02 - AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA – New National Director of the Pontifical Missionary Societies appointed
- 2014-08-21 - "In Gaza, in Iraq and in Syria, we are faced with stark and horrifying evidence of the moral bankruptcy of modern warfare", say the Bishops
- 2014-07-01 - Bishop of Rustenburg says thanks for the help given to the miners who have concluded the strike