AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Security agents release South Sudanese news editor South
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - South Sudanese editor who was detained by the country’s national security services on Saturday has been freed.
David Ocen, the news editor of the Catholic-owned Bakhita radio, was picked by security agents after the station aired a news bulletin on clashes between pro-government forces and rebels in Unity state (see Fides 18 and 19/08/2014). The journalist said he was still in shock because he was held in a dark room for three days where he could not tell day from night.
The station was consequently closed and it opening has been delayed over what officials described as demands by the national security agents "for instructions on how the radio will operate". "They want to reduce political programs and this is what we shall discuss tomorrow with them", a Bakhita FM staff told Sudan Tribune on condition of anonymity Tuesday.
Presently, South Sudanese journalists operate in a vacuum of laws as President Salva Kiir is yet to sign the media bills passed by the national assembly last year. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 20/08/2014)
- 2015-04-01 - "Stop the war immediately. If the parties are unable to reach agreement by themselves, then they must be persuaded to accept a solution" say Christian leaders
- 2015-03-24 - "Inexperience and corruption are the cause of civil war" says the Bishop of Wau
- 2015-03-11 - The suffering of the population will increase with the war; the Church is making huge efforts
- 2015-03-10 - The civil war is likely to resume after the failure of Negotiations
- 2015-02-26 - A simple ambulance service can save the lives of hundreds of mothers and children
- 2015-02-19 - Elections postponed: a contribution towards peace
- 2015-02-10 - The UN: over 2.5 million people face food emergency because of the civil war
- 2015-02-04 - Year of Consecrated Life: Religious committed to healing the wounds of the Civil War
- 2015-01-30 - The Bishops denounce: "Land grabbing threatens the stability of the Country"
- 2015-01-16 - The importance of "true hospitality" towards refugees