AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Security agents release South Sudanese news editor South
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - South Sudanese editor who was detained by the country’s national security services on Saturday has been freed.
David Ocen, the news editor of the Catholic-owned Bakhita radio, was picked by security agents after the station aired a news bulletin on clashes between pro-government forces and rebels in Unity state (see Fides 18 and 19/08/2014). The journalist said he was still in shock because he was held in a dark room for three days where he could not tell day from night.
The station was consequently closed and it opening has been delayed over what officials described as demands by the national security agents "for instructions on how the radio will operate". "They want to reduce political programs and this is what we shall discuss tomorrow with them", a Bakhita FM staff told Sudan Tribune on condition of anonymity Tuesday.
Presently, South Sudanese journalists operate in a vacuum of laws as President Salva Kiir is yet to sign the media bills passed by the national assembly last year. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 20/08/2014)
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – School instruction during emergency situations a basic humanitarian necessity
- 2015-07-17 - "We must start again from scratch", says the Bishop Emeritus of Juba
- 2015-07-10 - New peace initiative announced by the Church on the anniversary of independence
- 2015-07-09 - Violence and insecurity in the camps where refugees fleeing the civil war are welcomed
- 2015-06-25 - Cholera and rains aggravate the humanitarian situation, thousands of refugees fleeing the war: the testimony of a missionary
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal from Torit: the few NGOs that have remained in South Sudan must not leave over 4 million displaced alone
- 2015-06-10 - New appeal of Christian leaders to stop the "senseless war"
- 2015-05-27 - Christian Churches: "Stop the violence, instigated by leaders, most of whom call themselves Christians"
- 2015-05-26 - Security situation worsens due to clashes
- 2015-05-04 - "Population left to themselves, we are determined to restore peace" say Christian leaders