ASIA/PAKISTAN - Christian leaders in Pakistan: "The international community must wake up"
Lahore (Agenzia Fides) – Condemnation regarding the violence and the massive migration of Iraqi Christians; appeal to the international community to ensure safety to all religious minorities in Iraq: is what Christian Pakistani leaders gathered in Lahore in recent days for an interfaith meeting dedicated to the dramatic situation in Iraq ask for. As Fides learns, Christian leaders of different confessions were present. They all agreed to point out that Christians have been in Iraq since the first century after Christ, and there the apostles Thomas and Thaddeus preached the faith of Christ, therefore they have the right to inhabit the land as all others, Muslims or other religions.
Rev. Shahhid Meraj, of the Church of Pakistan (Anglican Community), dean of the Cathedral of Lahore, has asked the government of Pakistan to officially condemn the killing of Iraqi Christians and other minorities, helping to ensure the end of cruelty.
"The international community must wake up and protect the right of every human being to live according to their beliefs", he said. The Church of Pakistan in this period has prayed for religious minorities in Iraq, for the people of Palestine and Kashmir and for those who are suffering in Pakistan.
The Catholic, Fr. Inayat Bernard, rector of St. Mary Seminary in Lahore, thanked Pope Francis, who showed his concern towards Christians and all other religious minorities in Iraq.
Special prayers were raised for justice in Pakistan and for the freedom of every person to profess their faith. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 20/08/2014)
- 2015-10-06 - A Catholic beaten by Muslim teachers: "He cannot be a headmaster"
- 2015-10-05 - Christian girls kidnapped and raped by Muslims
- 2015-10-01 - Christians imprisoned for blasphemy fear an extrajudicial murder
- 2015-09-25 - The Bishops: "No" to discrimination on the status of religious minorities
- 2015-09-24 - Five new Franciscan friars to bring the Gospel in the "land of the Taliban"
- 2015-09-22 - It is necessary to promote tolerance and prevent sectarianism
- 2015-09-21 - Violence against a Christian family to steal the house and land
- 2015-09-18 - Local elections in Punjab: Christians say "no" to discrimination
- 2015-09-17 - To commemorate the "Christian heroes"
- 2015-09-04 - A court denies bail to some Christians arrested for blasphemy