AMERICA/MEXICO - The number of migrants who are victims of human trafficking increases
Saltillo (Agenzia Fides) - "Human trafficking is modern-day slavery that affects mainly women and children", said Mgr. Raúl Vera López, Bishop of Saltillo (Coahuila, Mexico), who denounced that the number of people who are victims of human trafficking and exploitation is on the rise while authorities do little about it.
"Migrants are the sector that suffers the most in Coahuila, and they are part of the population who are completely unprotected", said Mgr. Raúl Vera López. The bishop noted that the problem of trafficking derives from the forced migration of people (especially the citizens of Central American States) who seek a better future in the United States, challenging the risks arising from criminal gangs who take advantage of their condition. "Those who are passing are the first victims of organized crime - reiterated the Bishop - there are those who extort money, those who force them to commit illegal activities, and some even prevent them from crossing the border".
Mgr. Vera, wants to encourage migrants to denounce these facts, because even now, for fear of reprisals there are very few who do so. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/08/2014)
- 2015-09-30 - Parish canteen transformed into a hall to exhibit the photographs of missing persons
- 2015-09-28 - Mgr. Arizmendi on the events in Chiapas: "Yes to protest, but never with violence"
- 2015-09-26 - "No one can remain indifferent". A year ago, the massacre of 43 students in Iguala
- 2015-09-25 - Proposal for reform to combat the poverty of 20 million children
- 2015-09-21 - Free surgeries for children and adults with cleft lip and palate
- 2015-09-15 - "In Mexico there is no real administration of justice" says the Archdiocese of Mexico
- 2015-09-08 - Meeting of the Bishops of Mexico and the United States on the expulsion of immigrants
- 2015-09-04 - May our nation be an open space for respectable migration, in justice and peace
- 2015-08-03 - Solidarity Prize: Spanish Bishops in favour of Las Patronas candidature
- 2015-07-27 - Mariachi Zombie: amusing animated television series discredits bad zombie myth