AMERICA/MEXICO - The number of migrants who are victims of human trafficking increases
Saltillo (Agenzia Fides) - "Human trafficking is modern-day slavery that affects mainly women and children", said Mgr. Raúl Vera López, Bishop of Saltillo (Coahuila, Mexico), who denounced that the number of people who are victims of human trafficking and exploitation is on the rise while authorities do little about it.
"Migrants are the sector that suffers the most in Coahuila, and they are part of the population who are completely unprotected", said Mgr. Raúl Vera López. The bishop noted that the problem of trafficking derives from the forced migration of people (especially the citizens of Central American States) who seek a better future in the United States, challenging the risks arising from criminal gangs who take advantage of their condition. "Those who are passing are the first victims of organized crime - reiterated the Bishop - there are those who extort money, those who force them to commit illegal activities, and some even prevent them from crossing the border".
Mgr. Vera, wants to encourage migrants to denounce these facts, because even now, for fear of reprisals there are very few who do so. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/08/2014)
- 2014-10-30 - The families of the students who disappeared will be received by the President, Pope Francis asks for prayers
- 2014-10-27 - Living Rosary: 30 thousand faithful pray for drug traffickers and organized crime
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"
- 2014-10-21 - When you do not respect the right of even one person, it jeopardizes the right of all
- 2014-10-21 - 2000 children have been killed or maimed between 2006 and 2014
- 2014-10-15 - "Never accept violence as a solution", warns Mgr. Lona Reyes who proposes a prayer campaign
- 2014-10-14 - Bishops on the Iguala case: "clarify what happened, the truth is the path to justice"
- 2014-10-10 - The tragedy of Iguala and its consequences: a letter from the Archbishop of Acapulco
- 2014-10-09 - Corrupt policemen and climate of mistrust, the Bishop of La Paz denounces the silence of the authorities
- 2014-09-29 - Prevention and relief centers: the Church committed against addiction