ASIA/NEPAL - A Christian pastor released from prison, in Tibet
Kathmandu (Agenzia Fides) - Protestant Pastor Chhedar Bhote Lhomi, 37, was freed from blame and released from prison, he is now free after a bad experience of detention. As Fides learns, the Pastor lives in a remote area of Nepal, where he had started a Christian community that met regularly. He was jailed in October 2012 on charges of "beef consumption" although he carried out his service in an area of Nepal where this custom is normally permitted (in other parts of the country local Hindus do not eat beef because cattle are considered sacred).
In the fall of 2012 the Pastor had been accused by some local Hindus of having eaten "forbidden meat" and a mob had attacked him ravaging and destroying his home. The Pastor was arrested by the police, leaving his family (wife and three children) in the direst poverty. A court recently declared that Pastor Chhedar is "not guilty" and ordered his release. The Pastor said he will continue to pray and proclaim Christ on the heights of Tibet. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 19/08/2014)
- 2014-11-24 - The poor are forced to carry out illegal traficking in organs
- 2014-10-02 - The Apostolic Vicar: "With the Rosary, we will overcome the difficulties"
- 2014-09-01 - Vicar Apostolic tells Religious men and women: mission starts with self-evangelization
- 2014-08-19 - A Christian pastor released from prison, in Tibet
- 2014-06-24 - 40 Christian leaders arrested for "forced conversions": religious freedom at risk
- 2014-06-02 - The new Apostolic Vicar walks "in the light of the Word of God"
- 2014-05-02 - A vigil to announce the new Bishop and pray for reconciliation
- 2014-04-16 - Great joy for 60 newly baptized during the Easter Vigil
- 2013-11-04 - Protestant Christian pastor killed while praying
- 2013-05-06 - We need to change behavioral attitudes to combat malnutrition