AMERICA/PERU - Killed during their missionary work 23 years ago
Chimbote (Agenzia Fides) - In the month of August the Diocese of Chimbote (Peru) commemorates the martyrdom of 2 Franciscan friars: Zbigniew Strzalkowski and Miguel Tomaszek, in the town of Pariacoto (in the north of the capital), and Father Sandro Dordi in the city of Santa, murdered 23 years ago, during their mission of evangelization among the poor.
The parishes of Pariacoto and Santa, like every year, have organized a pilgrimage to the place of martyrdom and Eucharistic celebrations.
As reported in the statement sent to Fides by a local source, at the beginning of August 1991, the Franciscans Zbigniew Strzalkowski and Michael Tomaszek were killed in the city of Pariacoto by a terrorist group (see Fides 09/08/2011). Two weeks later, Father Sandro Dordi was killed by terrorists in the city of Santa.
The community throughout the region commemorates the martyrdom of these three religious men who gave their lives for their faith. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 18/08/2014)
- 2015-05-12 - Bishops call for urgent action and dialogue, "No more violence" for the Tia Maria case
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers
- 2015-04-09 - Children forced to attend classes under trees infested by wasps
- 2015-02-05 - In August, the beatification of three missionaries killed: the first martyrs of the diocese and Peru
- 2015-02-04 - The three missionaries killed in 1991 will be beatified because they were close to the poorest
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote asks protection for judges: "We are living in fear"
- 2015-01-22 - Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro re-elected President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-19 - Missionary Father Bachs has died, defender of the right to education of young people in need
- 2014-12-16 - Climate change: Christians in defense of the weak and of their suffering
- 2014-12-13 - Analysis of the socio-cultural impacts of mining and contribution of missionaries