AFRICA/MALAWI - The Bishops of Eastern Africa: "The threat to the family in our region is now more real than ever"
Lilongwe (Agenzia Fides) - "The threat to the family in our region is now more real than ever before", says the final communiqué of the 18th Plenary Assembly of AMECEA (Association of Members of the Episcopal Conferences of Eastern Africa), which was recently held in the capital of Malawi, Lilongwe (see Fides 16/7/2014). "The crisis of marriage and the family has been increased by individualism in the contemporary society, breakdown of morals, attacks on the family unit, poverty and unemployment", write the 250 Bishops of East Africa.
"As a Church in the region, we commit ourselves to pastoral care of broken families and all those who are going through difficulties in their families.
We affirm institution of marriage as an indissoluble union of love between a man and a woman open to procreation. We strongly condemn same sex unions and other deviations that go against human nature and natural law".
The Assembly elected S.E.R. Berhaneyesus Demerew Souraphiel, Archbishop of Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), as President of AMECEA. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 04/08/2014)
- 2015-08-27 - Pope Francis in his encyclical: "We are victims of climate change", says the Archbishop of Blantyre
- 2015-08-18 - A country adrift where frustration among the people rises out of all control
- 2015-07-14 - "We will continue to be poor without a moral transformation", says the Archbishop of Blantyre
- 2015-06-19 - The government spends $ 145 million for a military contract while 400 are needed for flood victims
- 2015-05-29 - A "scary" financial law that aggravates the already difficult conditions of the population
- 2015-05-22 - "Justice and Peace": "The state budget has to give priority to flood victims"
- 2015-05-22 - The Sun Village: center of assistance and support for children in need
- 2015-04-22 - Malawians fleeing xenophobic violence in South Africa: "We were chased like dogs"
- 2015-04-01 - The hope of Easter in the poorest Country in the world
- 2015-03-17 - The Church assists 230,000 flood victims