AFRICA/MALAWI - The Bishops of Eastern Africa: "The threat to the family in our region is now more real than ever"
Lilongwe (Agenzia Fides) - "The threat to the family in our region is now more real than ever before", says the final communiqué of the 18th Plenary Assembly of AMECEA (Association of Members of the Episcopal Conferences of Eastern Africa), which was recently held in the capital of Malawi, Lilongwe (see Fides 16/7/2014). "The crisis of marriage and the family has been increased by individualism in the contemporary society, breakdown of morals, attacks on the family unit, poverty and unemployment", write the 250 Bishops of East Africa.
"As a Church in the region, we commit ourselves to pastoral care of broken families and all those who are going through difficulties in their families.
We affirm institution of marriage as an indissoluble union of love between a man and a woman open to procreation. We strongly condemn same sex unions and other deviations that go against human nature and natural law".
The Assembly elected S.E.R. Berhaneyesus Demerew Souraphiel, Archbishop of Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), as President of AMECEA. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 04/08/2014)
- 2014-09-23 - A "creative" finance act, while 640,000 people are at risk of hunger
- 2014-08-04 - The Bishops of Eastern Africa: "The threat to the family in our region is now more real than ever"
- 2014-07-16 - More than 250 Bishops from East Africa at the Assembly on new evangelization
- 2014-06-27 - Politics restarts a month after the election; "Transition towards normality is not easy", says a missionary
- 2014-05-31 - Malawi has a new President
- 2014-05-26 - Elections contested: the only thing certain are the irregularities and suspicions of fraud
- 2014-05-22 - Disorganization disturbs the conduct of the elections
- 2014-05-20 - "The most uncertain elections in the last 20 years, but democracy is a fact accepted by all", says a missionary
- 2014-04-03 - Montfort Media and Luntha TV: two important missionary voices
- 2014-02-06 - Valentine's Day: occasion to raise funds for the 18th Plenary Assembly of AMECEA