ASIA/SYRIA - Aleppo, missile at the Armenian Catholic Church. Three dead
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - Yesterday afternoon a missile launched from the areas of Aleppo controlled by the rebels fell in the area of the Armenian Catholic parish of the Holy Trinity, in the district of al-Meydan, causing the death of three Armenian adults, two sisters and a man. The missile damaged the wall, a terrace of the rectory and broke the windows of the church also causing damage to an altar where there is a statue of the Virgin Mary from Marash, symbol city of the Armenian Genocide. "It was around 6.15pm and in that moment" refers to Fides Agency Fr. Joseph Bezouzou "we were in church to celebrate daily Mass. If the missile had fallen at the exit of the Mass, it would have been a massacre. We thank the Lord". The parish had organized for next weekend a gathering of young people, in order to ease the tremendous tension that has accompanied their everyday life for years. "We have decided to postpone everything", says Fr. Bezouzou "because after what happened you cannot expose young people to new risks. But on Sunday, after Mass, we will plant an olive tree in the place where the missile fell. This is our only response to the bombs and violence that for years have tried to devastate our lives". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 31/07/2014)
- 2015-04-17 - Christian Cemeteries vandalized in Mosul and in Galilee
- 2015-04-17 - The Syrian government dedicates a garden to the Martyrs of the Assyrian Genocide in the center of Damascus
- 2015-04-15 - The Heads of the Christian communities in Aleppo: is it the time of the Resurrection of the Savior or the funeral of his disciples?
- 2015-04-14 - Bombings on Christian neighborhoods in Aleppo, also two young Salesian animators killed
- 2015-04-09 - Caritas operator dies in the bombing in Aleppo
- 2015-04-01 - Idlib in the hands of jihadists. Orthodox priest kidnapped
- 2015-03-24 - The Islamic State shows a video of an Assyrian Christian who "converted" to Islam
- 2015-03-20 - Assyrian Bishop writes to the jihadists: our Church does not identify itself with any armed group
- 2015-03-18 - Catholic Bishops meet in Homs
- 2015-03-18 - Patriarch Gregoire III: "one is inconsiderate to invoke external military interventions to defend Christians in the Middle East"