AMERICA/NICARAGUA - The country awaits a word of encouragement from the Bishops
Juigalpa (Agenzia Fides) - The meeting of the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua began yesterday, July 29, in the city of Juigalpa, capital of the department of Chontales. As sources of Fides in the country note, "all citizens of Nicaragua await a word of encouragement from the leaders of the Catholic Church".
Although this is an ordinary meeting of the Bishops' Conference (which will continue until July 31), in which the bishops address the problems of ecclesiastical interest, it is almost certain that they will offer a reflection on the situation that the country is experiencing.
The confirmation came from the president of the episcopate, the bishop of the diocese of Juigalpa (Chontales), Mgr. René Sócrates Sándigo Jirón, who announced that the bishops will analyze the situation, propose paths and offer Christian-oriented solutions.
In fact, the national community still feels the tension caused by the criminal attack carried out on July 19, (see Fides 22/07/2014), and the interventions of the police in cities across the country, to look for the perpetrators of this crime. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 30/07/2014)
- 2015-01-20 - Pastoral letter: "Some people are more interested in profit than man himself"
- 2015-01-13 - Still controversy about the transoceanic canal: the Bishops call for clarity
- 2014-12-10 - Church-Government meeting on the Interoceanic Canal
- 2014-12-05 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Electoral certificate renewal: Bishops speak out
- 2014-11-26 - The Bishops of Central America gather: Communication in the culture of encounter
- 2014-11-25 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Transoceanic canal: Cardinal Brenes calls for transparency
- 2014-11-24 - Concern for the construction of the Canal: "I will not leave you alone" ensures the Bishop of Granada
- 2014-11-17 - The Church on the mega project of the Interoceanic Canal: "Everyone must be heard"
- 2014-10-01 - Initiatives and projects for 1400 child workers in Honduras and Nicaragua
- 2014-09-17 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The Bishops on Law 779: the reform is urgent, the Church is not the auxiliary of the police