AMERICA/PERU - 193 years of independent and Catholic life
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - "The challenges faced by our authorities and all Peruvians will overcome only with the mutual recognition among all citizens, far from any form of discrimination; in respect of our healthy traditions and with the sincere commitment for every Peruvian to tend to honesty, transparency, justice and peace". So reads the message issued by the Bishops of Peru sent to Fides Agency on the occasion of the celebration of the national holiday.
"Today", the document reads, "the Peruvians continue to pursue a new battle against selfishness, hedonism and relativism that undermine our identity as Peruvians, destroy the natural and biblical image of the family, the basic cell of society; threaten marriage as a sacrament between a man and a woman, and put at risk the lives of Peruvians who are defenseless. Our heroes - the Peruvian Bishops continue - were not great for an isolated moment of heroism, but were heroes in everyday life, in responding faithfully to his own conscience, defending the inalienable human values".
Peru celebrates 193 years of life as an independent country. All activities in the Country stop on 28 and 29 July, and the Catholic community, as reported by the text released by the Bishops, recall that currently "Peru is experiencing a special moment in its history. (...). The rich natural resources, the beauty of geography and especially the quality of their children represent the greatest potential which, if properly guided, will allow us to joyfully see the desire to overcome poverty, and walk the paths blessed by peace". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/07/2014)
- 2014-12-16 - Climate change: Christians in defense of the weak and of their suffering
- 2014-12-13 - Analysis of the socio-cultural impacts of mining and contribution of missionaries
- 2014-12-03 - COP 20: world meeting for climatic justice, churches together to care for creation
- 2014-11-15 - "Network for a Culture of meeting", also Cusco present at the XIII Meeting of RIIAL
- 2014-11-05 - The Bishops are always close to the 3 and a half million Peruvians away from home
- 2014-10-31 - Thousands of young people on pilgrimage instead of the "Feast of Hallowen"
- 2014-09-30 - How to prevent child labor and ensure adequate opportunities for growth
- 2014-09-23 - "Gold fever" increases human trafficking and sexual exploitation
- 2014-09-19 - The activist who fought for the Amazonian forest, against the deforestation of his land killed
- 2014-09-10 - “Young people without frontiers”: witnesses and proclaimers of the faith to the world of today