ASIA/IRAQ – Pope Francis calls the Chaldean Patriarch. Rumors about the destruction of churches in Mosul have been denied
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - Pope Francis phoned the Patriarch of Babylon of the Chaldeans, Louis Raphael I Sako to manifest his participation and closeness to the suffering of the Iraqi people, starting from Mosul Christians expelled from the city by the self-proclaimed militants of the "Islamic Caliphate". The phone call took place on Friday morning, July 25. The Bishop of Rome - as reported by official sources of the Chaldean Patriarchate - thanked Patriarch Louis Raphael for guiding the Christian people in this period, and expressed his affection for all Christians in Iraq, urging them to keep their faith alive.
Meanwhile, authoritative sources of the Chaldean Church deny the rumors that the militia of the Islamic Caliphate, after having destroyed the Mosque of Jonah in Mosul, have also destroyed the Chaldean church dedicated to the Holy Spirit.
"In the difficult times that we are living" says the Chaldean bishop of Mosul Amel Shamon Nona to Fides Agency "a further cause for concern and bitterness is represented by alarmism caused by unscrupulous people who spread false news that also touches the fate of Christians. Statements and interviews in recent days that I have never released have also been attributed to me. It is a disturbing phenomenon". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 26/07/2014)
ASIA/IRAQ – POPE FRANCIS CALLS THE CHALDEAN PATRIARCH. RUMORS ABOUT THE DESTRUCTION OF CHURCHES IN MOSUL HAVE BEEN DENIED
- 2015-02-24 - ASIA/IRAQ – Courses to start soon at Erbil Catholic University
- 2015-02-18 - Chaldean Patriarch urges Muslims: Join us in our Lenten fast to obtain the gift of peace
- 2015-02-16 - In Mosul jihadist “patrols” ban Saint Valentine
- 2015-02-12 - The Chaldean Archbishop of Kirkuk promotes a blood drive for the victims of terrorism
- 2015-02-09 - Synod of Chaldean Bishops: join forces to liberate the lands occupied by jihadists
- 2015-02-05 - The Chaldean Patriarchate: reports on the execution of a priest in Mosul are unfounded
- 2015-01-29 - US Senators: The United States have to encourage the creation of a province for Christians in the Nineveh Plain
- 2015-01-13 - Chaldean Patriarchate: no "approval" from the Patriarch to the emigration of Christians in Germany and Canada
- 2015-01-09 - ASIA/IRAQ – They refuse to convert to Islam: 10 elderly Christians expelled from Mosul
- 2014-12-23 - In the autonomous region of Kurdistan, Christmas will be a holiday, in solidarity with Christians