AFRICA/EGYPT – There is no Christian in St. Anthony Abate’s hometown
Qumans (Agenzia Fides) - There is not a single Christian or church in the Egyptian city of Qumans, formerly known by the name of Coma, in the central province of Beni Suef, where in 251 AD Saint Anthony was born, regarded as the founder of Christian monasticism. This was reported by Egyptian sources consulted by Fides Agency. In recent times, the Coptic Orthodox community leaders in the region have taken note that the internal migration flows recorded in the area have also led to the transfer of the last families who lived near the village, in an area where some agricultural funds are still referred to as ancient possessions of the family of origin of the great saint.
The intention of enhancing the birthplace of St. Anthony could lead in the future - as suggested by some members of the Coptic Church – to the new construction of a shrine, to be suggested as a place of pilgrimage. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 24/07/2014)
AFRICA/EGYPT – THERE IS NO CHRISTIAN IN ST. ANTHONY ABATE’S HOMETOWN
- 2015-07-23 - President al-Sisi decrees that even church buildings and mosques shall soon pay for electricity
- 2015-07-22 - A law is being requested against conversions of Christian minors without parental consent
- 2015-07-21 - The Council of Christian Churches convenes a day of prayer on the anniversary of the 1952 "Revolution"
- 2015-07-15 - Patriarch Tawadros withdraws the complaint against the militants of the "38 Copts" association
- 2015-07-07 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II meets the priests' wives
- 2015-07-06 - The Coptic Church of Saints Anthony and Paul distributes food to the poor Muslims for Ramadan
- 2015-07-02 - The Coptic Church after the jihadist attacks in Sinai: we are on the side of the military fighting "evil forces"
- 2015-06-30 - Condolences of the Council of Christian Churches for the assassination of Attorney General
- 2015-06-26 - Christians organize the "banquet of unity" for Muslims on the occasion of Ramadan
- 2015-06-25 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: the so-called "Gospel of Barnabas" is a fake