AFRICA/EGYPT – There is no Christian in St. Anthony Abate’s hometown
Qumans (Agenzia Fides) - There is not a single Christian or church in the Egyptian city of Qumans, formerly known by the name of Coma, in the central province of Beni Suef, where in 251 AD Saint Anthony was born, regarded as the founder of Christian monasticism. This was reported by Egyptian sources consulted by Fides Agency. In recent times, the Coptic Orthodox community leaders in the region have taken note that the internal migration flows recorded in the area have also led to the transfer of the last families who lived near the village, in an area where some agricultural funds are still referred to as ancient possessions of the family of origin of the great saint.
The intention of enhancing the birthplace of St. Anthony could lead in the future - as suggested by some members of the Coptic Church – to the new construction of a shrine, to be suggested as a place of pilgrimage. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 24/07/2014)
AFRICA/EGYPT – THERE IS NO CHRISTIAN IN ST. ANTHONY ABATE’S HOMETOWN
- 2014-12-19 - Islamist threats against the Christmas celebration; Muslim leaders: we defend the churches together with Christians
- 2014-12-15 - Al Azhar: those who commit terrorist acts in the name of Islam cannot be labelled "infidel"
- 2014-12-13 - The Coptic Orthodox Church: "Employment Day" for young job seekers
- 2014-12-10 - The government is studying the draft electoral law, 24 seats reserved for Christians
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/EGYPT – In Minya Governatorate in 4 years some 120 million Egyptian pounds paid in ransom for kidnapped Christians
- 2014-12-04 - For Copt Catholic Bishop Antonios Mina the anti-Islamist terrorism Conference at al-Azhar was “epochal”
- 2014-12-03 - Conference on Islam and Terrorism at Al Azhar. Imam al- Tayyeb: “takfirist” extremism perverts the Islamic religion
- 2014-11-12 - The government expels Islamist militants from educational institutions
- 2014-11-10 - The Patriarch of the Coptic Orthodox: may the Churches unify the dates for the Easter celebration
- 2014-11-05 - For the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch extremist groups are a product of the West