AMERICA/NICARAGUA - The Archdiocese of Managua condemns the criminal act against innocent civilians on Saturday
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - The Archdiocese of Managua expressed "deep sorrow and outrage with regards to the terrible criminal act which took place last Saturday against fellow Nicaraguans who were going back to their homes after the celebration of July 19 in Managua". Several buses were attacked as these people were traveling back home from the celebrations of 19th July, 35th anniversary of the Sandinista Popular Revolution, causing five victims and twenty wounded.
The attack took place in two different places: in the municipality of San Ramón, department of Matagalpa, north of Managua, and in the municipality of San Juan de Limay, department of Estelí. The national community is shocked by this act of terrorism which, according to the social networks of the country, is attributed to a group called Fuerzas Democráticas Nicaragüenses (FDN).
In a statement sent to Fides Agency by the Archdiocese of Managua, Cardinal Archbishop Leopoldo José Brenes, along with Auxiliary Bishop Silvio Jose Baez, condemn the "act of violence describing it as inhuman and irrational". The text invites parishes and communities to celebrate a Mass on Thursday, July 24 for the victims of this terrorist act, and to promote "a Holy Hour before the Blessed Sacrament to implore the gift of peace for our country". (CE) (Agenzia Fides, 22/07/2014)
- 2015-10-08 - Clashes between police and protesters, the Church is the only intermediary
- 2015-10-07 - The support of Cardinal Brenes: "Punish those who exploit the naivety of the poor"
- 2015-09-18 - Bishops of Bluefields: "We cannot share the violence among poor peasants and indigenous"
- 2015-09-14 - Families fleeing and still clashes in Waspam, request of a Truth Commission
- 2015-09-10 - Clashes over land concern the Bishops of Bluefields: "there will be no solution if there is violence"
- 2015-07-16 - Nearly two million Central American children are undernourished
- 2015-07-14 - Two children and a woman killed by mistake by the police; Mgr. Baez calls for justice
- 2015-06-30 - "We are losing the values and respect for life", warns Cardinal Brenes
- 2015-06-22 - Two years after the attack against the elderly, the case has not yet been solved
- 2015-06-15 - Still controversy over the transoceanic canal; Mgr. Baez "more transparency is needed"