AFRICA/KENYA - The First Lady praised the Church's role in improving the lives of millions of Kenyans
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The First Lady of Kenya, Ms. Margaret Kenyatta, praised the role of the Catholic Church in improving the lives of millions of people across the Country. "Our presence at this meeting indicates the affinity we have and will continue to build with the Church and other religious bodies", said the First Lady during a meeting she attended to raise funds in the parish of Blessed Joseph Allamano in Ruaka, a town 15 km from Nairobi.
According to what was reported by CISA Agency, Ms. Kenyatta thanked the parish for what it is doing in the field of health, environmental preservation and Youth education".
The First Lady also pointed out that the efforts of human development of the Church are a useful complement to the agenda of the government to change the Country through the implementation of projects in the field of education, health, environment and the growth of young people.
In Kenya, the Catholic Church runs 4,169 kindergartens with 335 285 children; 4,769 primary schools with 2,393,658 pupils: 1618 middle and high schools with 737 508 students; plus the Catholic Higher Institute of Eastern Africa. The Church also runs 184 hospitals; 390 dispensaries; 22 leper colonies; 86 care centers for the elderly or chronically ill; 401 orphanages; 1,334 kindergartens (data of the Statistical Yearbook of the Church 2012). (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 18/07/2014)
- 2015-03-11 - AFRICA/KENYA – A study of the Church: the factors of internal conflict
- 2015-03-05 - The Church make uncultivated land available to produce food
- 2015-02-17 - Anti-tetanus vaccine final test: 30% contains birth control factor
- 2015-02-12 - Attorney-General proposes a meeting to review the proposed regulations on religious groups
- 2015-02-06 - "No increase in fees for high schools" says the Church
- 2015-01-20 - Schoolchildren abused of their rights
- 2015-01-14 - Tetanus vaccine: the first tests deny that it can be used for birth control
- 2014-12-30 - Anti-Christian attacks: Christian leaders urge the faithful to forgiveness
- 2014-12-23 - State and Church work together to help the people of Lake Turkana
- 2014-12-18 - Clashes among MPs on anti-terrorism law could put fundamental freedoms at risk