AMERICA/MEXICO - Cardinal Parolin, Vatican's Secretary of State, in Mexico for the emergency regarding emigration
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - The Vatican's Secretary of State, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, arrived yesterday afternoon in Mexico to discuss issues related to the phenomenon of emigration.
The goal, according to an official note sent to Fides by the Mexican government, is to try to coordinate a joint program between the government and the Holy See, on this tragic matter. Cardinal Parolin was received by the Foreign Minister, Jose Antonio Meade, and attended a working dinner which, in addition to the federal authorities and lawmakers, was attended by Ministers of Foreign Affairs of Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador. The Vatican's Secretary of State will meet today, Monday 14, with Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto, and will participate in a meeting on migration and human rights.
Cardinal Parolin had been invited by President Peña Nieto during his official visit to the Vatican last June. The visit is particularly important because it coincides with the humanitarian crisis underway (see Fides 11/07/2014), which sees thousands of migrant children traveling alone to the United States. All Central American countries are involved in this forced exodus, and even the Catholic Church is in the front row because almost all hostels for migrants in Mexico are run by Catholics.
Mexico and the Holy See established diplomatic relations in 1992 and work in coordination on various issues of common interest, on the basis of mutual respect. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/07/2014)
- 2015-04-21 - Consecration of the Bishop of Orizaba: active participation of the indigenous community in Náhuatl language
- 2015-04-20 - Every day two thousand weapons smuggled into Mexico from the United States
- 2015-04-17 - The Assembly of Bishops: "Without trust and participation we cannot go forth!"
- 2015-04-15 - Every year thousands of children are born on the street, at home or in situations considered at high risk
- 2015-04-14 - Meeting between the Church and those responsible of the elections: no to boycott
- 2015-04-09 - Another priest killed
- 2015-03-31 - The denunciation of the Bishop of Piedras Negras: Too many missing persons of whom we know nothing
- 2015-03-23 - Caritas supports 80 thousand people without food or health care
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude