AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Immediate start of the process of disarmament to ensure safety" ask religious leaders and politicians
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - The safety of the population is "the priority of priorities" said a statement issued after the meeting of religious leaders and representatives of various political parties in the Central African Republic, Bangui held from July 7 to 9. The meeting was attended by the Vicar General, Mgr. Jésus Martial Demele.
Security is worsening day by day and another massacre was perpetrated in Bambari (see Fides 09/07/2014), the statement deplores "the non-implementation of resolutions 2121, 2127 and 2134 of the Security Council of the United Nations that demand the disarmament of armed groups and the immediate start of the process of disarmament, demobilization and reintegration (DDR - the acronym in French) of combatants, a sine qua non for the return of security throughout the national territory".
The Central African political and religious leaders also complain about "the reluctance, if not the opposition of some Central African authorities and partners in the Central African Republic to the rehabilitation of the national armed forces" without which it is not possible to implement effective disarmament operations and ensure the safety of Country.
The document also rejects any idea of partition of the Central African Republic. The writers of the statement felt it inappropriate to hold a round table in Brazzaville regarding Central Africa, agreed on the sidelines of the summit of the African Union on 27 June in Malabo (Equatorial Guinea), and ask President Denis Sassou Nguesso, President of the Republic of Congo, mediator in the Central African crisis, "to organize an inclusive consultation on Central African ground, between Central African grassroot communities, for the solution of the crisis". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 11/07/2014)
- 2015-10-01 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – More clashes, but people want the stability of institutions
- 2015-09-29 - Thousands of people find refuge in parishes
- 2015-09-29 - Bangui in chaos: the reconstruction of the accidents, towards an uncertain future
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop of Bangui: "Authority and the international community have to take on their responsibility to stop the violence"
- 2015-08-19 - The 2015 Sergio Vieira de Mello Prize will be awarded to the Interfaith Peace Platform
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Training to counter unemployment: 29 teachers receive diploma
- 2015-05-18 - "We have to be humble to have the courage to forgive one another", said the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2015-03-26 - Caritas Bangui distributes aid to the displaced Muslims in Mbaiki
- 2015-03-03 - Archbishop of Bangui visits two militia leaders in prison
- 2015-02-24 - “Our country can be compared to a desert, where we must combat the temptations of the devil” says Archbishop Nzapalainga