AFRICA/KENYA - Bishops' appeal: "The media play a pivotal role in the Country"
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The media must contribute to promote peaceful co-existence among Kenyans irrespective of political and ethnic affiliation. This is the appeal launched by the Kenya Episcopal Conference through its General-Secretariat, Fr. Vincent Wambugu, who in a statement asked the media to ensure unbiased content and to moderate live coverage especially of political rallies as well as the guest speakers on Television and radio shows.
"We acknowledge that the media play a pivotal role in information circulation and opinion forming and therefore appeal to you and your media houses to: reintroduce peace messages on all media as were played before, during and after the last General Elections considering that they played an important role during that time" read a statement, sent to CISA in Nairobi. "We acknowledge that it will take the concerted efforts of all Kenyans and especially deliberate action by mainstream media to restore confidence of the people of Kenya in our country" the statement said.
The Bishops' Conference statement came at a time when the Coalition for Reforms and Democracy (CORD) that forms the opposition in the country was holding a rally at Uhuru Park to protest against among others the high cost of living in the country, insecurity, bad governance and the government’s lack of commitment to implementing the 2010 constitution.
The coastal regions of Kenya have also been affected by a series of attacks on some villages in Mpeketoni (see Fides 16/06/2014), attributed by President Kenyatta to local politicians. Recently, even Christian religious leaders in Kenya, in a joint statement, had appealed to politicians to avoid "derogatory remarks" (see Fides 24/06/2014). (L.M.)(Agenzia Fides 09/07/2014)
- 2015-09-08 - The protest of teachers takes to the street, the Church calls for dialogue
- 2015-09-04 - The Bishops of Kenya officially announce Pope Francis' visit
- 2015-09-03 - Bishop of Meru: "Fight for a culture that promotes family and life"
- 2015-08-17 - AFRICA/KENYA – Concern for reported destructive behaviour in local Catholic schools
- 2015-08-06 - By 2020, 20 Catholic radio stations will be created to cover the entire territory of Kenya
- 2015-07-30 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishops call for general ‘boycot’ of upcoming vaccination campaign until vaccine is tested
- 2015-07-08 - More than 500 deaths in 150 terrorist attacks in the last three years
- 2015-07-07 - "The project of the Shabaab to liberate the north-east from non-Somalis continues" said the coadjutor Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-06-23 - The exhortation of Mgr. Pante to 600,000 refugees welcomed in Kenya: "Do not lose hope"
- 2015-06-15 - Even two Westerners among the Shabaab killed in an assault on a military camp