AFRICA/KENYA - Bishops' appeal: "The media play a pivotal role in the Country"
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The media must contribute to promote peaceful co-existence among Kenyans irrespective of political and ethnic affiliation. This is the appeal launched by the Kenya Episcopal Conference through its General-Secretariat, Fr. Vincent Wambugu, who in a statement asked the media to ensure unbiased content and to moderate live coverage especially of political rallies as well as the guest speakers on Television and radio shows.
"We acknowledge that the media play a pivotal role in information circulation and opinion forming and therefore appeal to you and your media houses to: reintroduce peace messages on all media as were played before, during and after the last General Elections considering that they played an important role during that time" read a statement, sent to CISA in Nairobi. "We acknowledge that it will take the concerted efforts of all Kenyans and especially deliberate action by mainstream media to restore confidence of the people of Kenya in our country" the statement said.
The Bishops' Conference statement came at a time when the Coalition for Reforms and Democracy (CORD) that forms the opposition in the country was holding a rally at Uhuru Park to protest against among others the high cost of living in the country, insecurity, bad governance and the government’s lack of commitment to implementing the 2010 constitution.
The coastal regions of Kenya have also been affected by a series of attacks on some villages in Mpeketoni (see Fides 16/06/2014), attributed by President Kenyatta to local politicians. Recently, even Christian religious leaders in Kenya, in a joint statement, had appealed to politicians to avoid "derogatory remarks" (see Fides 24/06/2014). (L.M.)(Agenzia Fides 09/07/2014)
- 2015-06-23 - The exhortation of Mgr. Pante to 600,000 refugees welcomed in Kenya: "Do not lose hope"
- 2015-06-15 - Even two Westerners among the Shabaab killed in an assault on a military camp
- 2015-06-10 - A shelter for 129 small children with Aids
- 2015-05-30 - Greater awareness is needed for the treatment of cholera and diarrhea
- 2015-05-20 - AFRICA/KENYA – First beatification in Kenya: the Italian missionary Sr. Irene, "mother all mercy and love"
- 2015-05-13 - Remembering the victims of Garissa, Christian leaders denounce the insecurity in which Kenya lives
- 2015-05-11 - The Bishops warn: "A Government that cannot protect its own people loses its legitimacy to govern"
- 2015-04-20 - "The real aim of Al Shabaab is to spark religious conflict, let us not fall into that trap", say the Islamic leaders
- 2015-04-16 - "Moving Dadaab Refugee Camp back to Somalia must go hand in hand with allocating more resources to Northern Kenya for it to succeed", says the Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-04-10 - The Bishops: "Who knows must denounce the terrorists; the government has to address the obvious breakdown in the security intelligence system"