AFRICA/KENYA - Bishops' appeal: "The media play a pivotal role in the Country"
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The media must contribute to promote peaceful co-existence among Kenyans irrespective of political and ethnic affiliation. This is the appeal launched by the Kenya Episcopal Conference through its General-Secretariat, Fr. Vincent Wambugu, who in a statement asked the media to ensure unbiased content and to moderate live coverage especially of political rallies as well as the guest speakers on Television and radio shows.
"We acknowledge that the media play a pivotal role in information circulation and opinion forming and therefore appeal to you and your media houses to: reintroduce peace messages on all media as were played before, during and after the last General Elections considering that they played an important role during that time" read a statement, sent to CISA in Nairobi. "We acknowledge that it will take the concerted efforts of all Kenyans and especially deliberate action by mainstream media to restore confidence of the people of Kenya in our country" the statement said.
The Bishops' Conference statement came at a time when the Coalition for Reforms and Democracy (CORD) that forms the opposition in the country was holding a rally at Uhuru Park to protest against among others the high cost of living in the country, insecurity, bad governance and the government’s lack of commitment to implementing the 2010 constitution.
The coastal regions of Kenya have also been affected by a series of attacks on some villages in Mpeketoni (see Fides 16/06/2014), attributed by President Kenyatta to local politicians. Recently, even Christian religious leaders in Kenya, in a joint statement, had appealed to politicians to avoid "derogatory remarks" (see Fides 24/06/2014). (L.M.)(Agenzia Fides 09/07/2014)
- 2014-07-23 - Works begin on a new center for disabled children in the village of Kandisi
- 2014-07-18 - The First Lady praised the Church's role in improving the lives of millions of Kenyans
- 2014-07-17 - The army have discovered four fields where the perpetrators of the attacks in the coastal region hide
- 2014-07-15 - The perpetrators of the attacks against some villages on the coast have been identified
- 2014-07-09 - Bishops' appeal: "The media play a pivotal role in the Country"
- 2014-06-26 - The governor of Lamu arrested for the attacks on coastal villages
- 2014-06-24 - Clean water and health care to reduce mortality among the most vulnerable
- 2014-06-24 - Christian leaders: "call off political rallies, demonstrations, one has to work to stop violence"
- 2014-06-18 - "The two assaults committed by Kenyans and foreigners, not by Shabaab", says the Bishop of Malindi
- 2014-06-17 - New assault against a Kenyan village, the commando has probably taken women and children hostage