AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – The Cathedral in Bambari besieged by rebels
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - The Cathedral of Saint-Joseph in Bambari, in the area where there are more than 12,000 displaced people, is surrounded by the rebels of Seleka, said the local Bishop launching an appeal to Fides Agency (see Fides 01/07/2014).
According to local Church sources contacted by Fides Agency in the capital Bangui, "the little information we have received, there are no reports of injuries among the displaced, but it is difficult to get more information, because the phone lines with the region of Bambari are blocked".
Some agency sources claim that the siege began in the early afternoon yesterday, July 7. The attackers fired at the Cathedral complex, which includes a school and the Episcopate. According to the testimony of a priest, several people have taken refuge in the sanctuary, but some of them were reached by firearms. It seems one person died.
In the city there are the French military of the Sangaris force, who clashed with the rebels. The population has been living in tension for a week in Bambari due to the presence of the rebels of Seleka and anti-Balaka groups. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 08/07/2014)
AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – THE CATHEDRAL IN BAMBARI BESIEGED BY REBELS
- 2015-03-26 - Caritas Bangui distributes aid to the displaced Muslims in Mbaiki
- 2015-03-03 - Archbishop of Bangui visits two militia leaders in prison
- 2015-02-24 - “Our country can be compared to a desert, where we must combat the temptations of the devil” says Archbishop Nzapalainga
- 2015-02-06 - "The conflict is political not religious" say three participants
- 2015-01-28 - Caritas: more funds needed for refugees from the Central African Republic
- 2015-01-14 - "Signs of hope but still too much violence, also due to the strong movement of weapons", say the Bishops
- 2015-01-13 - The situation is improving, the Bishops launch a campaign for social cohesion
- 2015-01-07 - Archbishop of Bangui threatened with death while bringing assistance to the displaced
- 2014-12-30 - Archbishop of Bangui pays a visit to former Seleka rebels again
- 2014-12-09 - “Where are you, perpetrator of violence in Central Africa?” demands the Archbishop of Bangui