AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – The Cathedral in Bambari besieged by rebels
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - The Cathedral of Saint-Joseph in Bambari, in the area where there are more than 12,000 displaced people, is surrounded by the rebels of Seleka, said the local Bishop launching an appeal to Fides Agency (see Fides 01/07/2014).
According to local Church sources contacted by Fides Agency in the capital Bangui, "the little information we have received, there are no reports of injuries among the displaced, but it is difficult to get more information, because the phone lines with the region of Bambari are blocked".
Some agency sources claim that the siege began in the early afternoon yesterday, July 7. The attackers fired at the Cathedral complex, which includes a school and the Episcopate. According to the testimony of a priest, several people have taken refuge in the sanctuary, but some of them were reached by firearms. It seems one person died.
In the city there are the French military of the Sangaris force, who clashed with the rebels. The population has been living in tension for a week in Bambari due to the presence of the rebels of Seleka and anti-Balaka groups. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 08/07/2014)
AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – THE CATHEDRAL IN BAMBARI BESIEGED BY REBELS
- 2015-11-23 - The video message from Pope Francis brought to the Muslims by the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2015-10-28 - Archbishop of Bangui tells Fides that he was not kidnapped during a visit to the Central Mosque
- 2015-10-14 - The PMS invite to "put an end to hostility and bickering" and ask for sanctions and compensation
- 2015-10-01 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – More clashes, but people want the stability of institutions
- 2015-09-29 - Thousands of people find refuge in parishes
- 2015-09-29 - Bangui in chaos: the reconstruction of the accidents, towards an uncertain future
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop of Bangui: "Authority and the international community have to take on their responsibility to stop the violence"
- 2015-08-19 - The 2015 Sergio Vieira de Mello Prize will be awarded to the Interfaith Peace Platform
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Training to counter unemployment: 29 teachers receive diploma
- 2015-05-18 - "We have to be humble to have the courage to forgive one another", said the Archbishop of Bangui